Canon 7D Firmware Update Announced

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited August 24, 2012 in Cameras
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware

Manual audio level setting:clap:clap, longer bursts, more control over auto ISO among other things.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Who needs a 7dII with FREE firmware like that??!?!? This is the first time I've seen this many significant feature enhancements (rather than bug-fixes) in a firmware package - is this the way of the future?!?!?!? clap.gif
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    They should hire a new Japanese-to-English translator. "Higher Maximum Burst Rate"?? Since when is 8 > 8?

I don't see what the big deal is. I can count on one hand in 2 years with my 7D how many times 25 vs 15 shot buffer would have benefited me.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 28, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Who needs a 7dII with FREE firmware like that??!?!? This is the first time I've seen this many significant feature enhancements (rather than bug-fixes) in a firmware package - is this the way of the future?!?!?!? clap.gif

I think that this is a signal from Canon that the existing Canon 7D is going to stay a while longer (i.e., probably no replacement high-end Canon APS-C body for a while).

Many of these features have been requested for quite some time. It's nice to see Canon this responsive to its constituents.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 28, 2012
    Is the firmware available yet? The link just seems to be informative, but without a download link.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Just an announcement, not available yet.
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Is the firmware available yet? The link just seems to be informative, but without a download link.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Just an announcement, not available yet.

I think it's kind of strange to announce a firmware upgrade, but not have it available.
    It must be tough to set up the download area, and announce it at the same time.

I sold my 7D a year and a half ago, so these upgrades don't mean anything to me.
    For Raw shooters, the increase from 15 to 25 may be helpful, but when I did own the 7D,
    I don't ever remember taking a burst of more than 12 shots.

I think it's to bad that the firmwares on the DSLR's don't have some of "stuff" that camera
    makers put into their point and shoots.

Sweep panorama, in camera (and handheld) HDR, selective colors.
    These are all things that most of us try at one point or another when out playing with our cameras.

Another thing that isn't there, an intervalometer.
    I had one on my 2004 Canon S1 IS, you'd think by now they could have it built into a DSLR.

I'm starting to believe that I can be more creative with a point and shoot, than I can be with a DSLR.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    I actually ran up against the burst limitation earlier this year at the Rolex Kentucky 3 Day Event -- there was a jump into water, a jump in the middle of the water and then a "bounding" exit. I would take a burst as the horse went over the first jump, pause for a very short of time, then midway as I followed the horse and rider over the second jump, suddenly my "clickclickclick" became "click....click....click".

I ended up just being picker on when I tripped the shutter on the second jump to work around the issue.

Though in all honesty this is the only time I've encountered the issue -- two different events that can utilize the 7Ds high frame rate separated by a very short time. Most of the time I find the high speed rate to fast and use the lower rate instead.

Roak<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012

I don't see what the big deal is. I can count on one hand in 2 years with my 7D how many times 25 vs 15 shot buffer would have benefited me.

so a larger shot buffer was in there all the time, it just needed new firmware. makes you wonder if more cameras have a larger buffer that's just not available
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    so a larger shot buffer was in there all the time, it just needed new firmware. makes you wonder if more cameras have a larger buffer that's just not available

no, I'm sure they are just making more efficient use of the buffer now. like with a better lossless compression algorithm, or more efficient processing.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited June 30, 2012
    no, I'm sure they are just making more efficient use of the buffer now. like with a better lossless compression algorithm, or more efficient processing.

That would be my guess as well, along with better utilization of fast memory cards (which accounts for 1-2 frames of the count improvement).
    ziggy53
  • jason Krasnovjason Krasnov Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 30, 2012
    yes, UDMA cards will help in conjunction with the added max burst rate. however, most likely the buffer will still get full just as fast, and slow down the 7D anyways.

I am more excited about the manual controls for audio levels than anything. As a photographer transitioning into video, this will be a lifesaver.
    edited July 1, 2012
    I still cannot find the upgrade on the Canon website.

Why would they announce it before it is available?

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    I still cannot find the upgrade on the Canon website.

Why would they announce it before it is available?
    Jim, according to this press release, the new firmware won't be available till next month, August 2012.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited July 1, 2012
    Cuong wrote: »
    Jim, according to this press release, the new firmware won't be available till next month, August 2012.

Cuong

The Canon USA statement:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024805a4473

"Availability
    The new firmware upgrade for the EOS 7D Digital SLR camera together with installation instructions will be available in early August at no charge through Canon U.S.A.'s website. For more information please visit the following link to view an online video about the new EOS 7D firmware features, www.usa.canon.com/eos7dfirmwareupgrade"
    ziggy53
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2012

I am more excited about the manual controls for audio levels than anything. As a photographer transitioning into video, this will be a lifesaver.

yes, leaving that out didn't make any sense
    edited July 5, 2012
    Thanks for finding that date of availability guys.

I think the GPS receiver - the GP-E2 - will be appreciated as well.

It is strange that an intervalometer is not built into modern DSLRs.

• JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012

Well, unless you use a Nikon, they have them built in. Just like their lower end non-flagship cams have voice annotation and where are we in the Canon world? Just the 1D gets that feature which is my BIGGEST pet peeve EVER with Canon.
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2012
    Someone mentioned to me tooday, that there are issues with the 7D firmware upgrade. If it gets hosed half way through, your camera body has to go back to Canon to be completed.

I got little detail, just that they are talking about this over on POTN. I don't frequent that place, and it's blocked at work anyway, so I can't verify at the moment.

Anyone know about this issue?

S.C.
    edited July 27, 2012
    Someone mentioned to me tooday, that there are issues with the 7D firmware upgrade. If it gets hosed half way through, your camera body has to go back to Canon to be completed.

I got little detail, just that they are talking about this over on POTN. I don't frequent that place, and it's blocked at work anyway, so I can't verify at the moment.

Anyone know about this issue?

S.C.

If any firmware upgrade is interrupted midway, through a lack of battery power, for instance, it will cause the camera to be unstable, at least, or unusable in the worst case. This is nothing new.

If the 7D firmware upgrade is huge, as I suspect that it may be, that could mean that you need fully charged and fairly new batteries in order to proceed with a safe upgrade.

The latest firmware is not yet available so this sounds like nothing to worry about right now.
    ziggy53
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2012

If you own a 5DII or the other cams supported. The new version of Magic Lantern supports a built in intervalometer as well as built in HDR bracketing. A LOT of cool features that Canon should have in the 5DII and others are now in this add-on firmware. I'm going to play more with it today, just installed it last night.. but damn does it look good!
    edited July 28, 2012
    If you own a 5DII or the other cams supported. The new version of Magic Lantern supports a built in intervalometer as well as built in HDR bracketing. A LOT of cool features that Canon should have in the 5DII and others are now in this add-on firmware. I'm going to play more with it today, just installed it last night.. but damn does it look good!

Just be aware that this firmware overlay is not supported by Canon, is still betaware, and really can cause damage to the host camera. While it's true that there are no documented cases of camera damage, it can happen.

The biggest problem is that occasionally, and it's not known why, some cameras go into a runaway loop, generally after camera shutdown. If, after an hour or so after running a version of Magic Lantern, your camera feels warm or hot, or if you can smell the circuits of the camera, pull the main battery immediately.

If the camera ever runs down the battery overnight, you may wish to discontinue running Magic Lantern.

Many folks pull the main battery after every shoot when they used Magic Lantern.

In short, if you run Magic Lantern, you accept the risk and the possibility of permanent damage to your camera.

All that said, I have played with Magic Lantern and took the precaution of removing the main battery after every test and my 5D MKII seems fine. I have not tested this latest version, however.

Another thing I would remind people is that if you use Magic Lantern, and if you like it, please consider donating to the developers. The developers are using donations to purchase camera bodies on which to test and develop new versions of Magic Lantern.

Magic Lantern has tons of utility for video applications of the applicable cameras. See our "Action!" forum for more information.
    ziggy53
    edited August 7, 2012
    Canon 7D Firmware 2.0 update is now available.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited August 7, 2012
    Canon 7D Firmware 2.0 update is now available.

Cuong

Cool. Thanks! clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    OS X 10.7 and earlier supported only? OS X 10.8 lists firmware 1.2.5. Does anyone understand why? headscratch.gif
    edited August 7, 2012
    OS X 10.7 and earlier supported only? OS X 10.8 lists firmware 1.2.5. Does anyone understand why? headscratch.gif

It's possible that OS X 10.8 has not been tested yet. Canon does not include operating systems until they are tested. That does not preclude the use of operating systems that have not been tested.

Just use Google and Blekko to see if anyone has had success using OS X 10.8 and version 2.0 of the Canon 7D firmware upgrade:

Google
    Blekko
    ziggy53
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Awesome...can't wait to get this running!
  • kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    I just flashed it onto my 7D (from OSX Lion...I've been lazier about the Mtn Lion update the the 7D update).
    It took a few minutes to load.

Anyone have any experiences using it yet?

Edit:
    * One thing that I find right away is that my in-camera ratings are carried into Lightroom ratings. This is something that will be really useful, especially combined with the quick menu in review mode to rate images in the field.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    I upgraded to the 2.0 firmware about an hour ago. The upgrade went smoothly with no problems. Not much use on it yet.

I noticed on the time zone setting they don't have an Arizona option. :cry I had to use Denver for Mountain time so that means my camera time will shift with daylight savings time I bet. Arizona is in the Mountain time zone but we do not shift with daylight saving time.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens the next time flip. headscratch.gif
    edited August 7, 2012
    bgarland wrote: »
    I noticed on the time zone setting they don't have an Arizona option. :cry I had to use Denver for Mountain time so that means my camera time will shift with daylight savings time I bet. Arizona is in the Mountain time zone but we do not shift with daylight saving time.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens the next time flip. headscratch.gif
    I don't think the time would change by itself. There's a daylight saving time setting (to the left of the time zone) where you can turn on or off and the currently set time would advance or subtract an hour.

Cuong
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    I don't think the time would change by itself. There's a daylight saving time setting (to the left of the time zone) where you can turn on or off and the currently set time would advance or subtract an hour.

Cuong

Thanks. I didn't know that was for daylight saving. wings.gif