Options

Alaska

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited August 7, 2012 in Landscapes
took the disney cruise to alaska a few weeks ago. alaska is just gold mine for photographers

view from a train in skagway
1) i-MzKRLpR-XL.jpg

2) about to enter tracy arm (a fjord)
i-ZwdHC9g-XL.jpg

3) in tracy arm
i-dVd3kcp-XL.jpg

4) glacier at the end of tracy arm
i-hn4rvS4-XL.jpg

5) tilt shift action
i-dnbbgRQ-XL.jpg
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    I probably said this the last time I posted in one of your threads, but I'll say it again: Wow, your work keeps getting better over the years! I know you shoot people/weddings mostly, but I am a big fan of taking the processing style from that genre into landscapes. Gorgeous.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    schmoo wrote: »
    I probably said this the last time I posted in one of your threads, but I'll say it again: Wow, your work keeps getting better over the years! I know you shoot people/weddings mostly, but I am a big fan of taking the processing style from that genre into landscapes. Gorgeous.

Thanks for the kind words, but it is it's practically cheating up there it's so gorgeous.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    btw here is the train shot in BW as well..can't decide whihc I like better
    i-3qdjwVn-XL.jpg
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    More good shots Daniel!

That first train shot looks "strangely" almost exactly like the Durango to Silverton (CO) famous mountain curve.
    Randy
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    I like the BW version and I really like the last one. It almost gives it a model/miniature feel.
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    Qarik, you and I have some very similar images ;)

IMG5524-XL.jpg

Was there almost exactly one year ago on my honeymoon. I also have the shots of the fjord and glacier which resides at the end of it.

Your #3 is absolutely stunning, also. How'd you achieve that look?!
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Qarik, you and I have some very similar images ;)

Was there almost exactly one year ago on my honeymoon. I also have the shots of the fjord and glacier which resides at the end of it.

Your #3 is absolutely stunning, also. How'd you achieve that look?!

whoa! thats the broken bridge! haha

#3 was a no brainer really..sometimes we like to think we are skilled at photography but sometimes it just dumb luck ..see it, frame it, and expose it correctly. Then in post punched up clarity, vibrance, sharpening. Then created pseudo HDR by bringing down highlights, lifting shadows and readjusting exposure bar to get a look I like. (ie hit a preset rolleyes1.gif)
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    whoa! thats the broken bridge! haha

#3 was a no brainer really..sometimes we like to think we are skilled at photography but sometimes it just dumb luck ..see it, frame it, and expose it correctly. Then in post punched up clarity, vibrance, sharpening. Then created pseudo HDR by bringing down highlights, lifting shadows and readjusting exposure bar to get a look I like. (ie hit a preset rolleyes1.gif)

Hahhaha..Hey I love a good preset, especially when it looks like you did it all yourself!

I can't say that my 7D images had that much data hanging out in the histogram to make the images look quite that nice. Maybe it was just the day, but something tells me it's that D700's dynamic range. AWW YEAH!

Great shots, bud. I'm sure you all had a blast. We did Carnival, which was pretty nice too. Did you all do the hiking in Skagway? Amazing!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 7, 2012
    Good stuff, Daniel. I like #1 (both versions), 3 and 4 the best. I've been on that same train ride (White Pass Railway) before, and that's a really good comp you captured.

My wife and I did an AK inland passage cruise on Celebrity back in 2005. Might be time to go back with the kids now. Would you recommend the Disney cruise?
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Incredible pictures!!!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Good stuff, Daniel. I like #1 (both versions), 3 and 4 the best. I've been on that same train ride (White Pass Railway) before, and that's a really good comp you captured.

My wife and I did an AK inland passage cruise on Celebrity back in 2005. Might be time to go back with the kids now. Would you recommend the Disney cruise?

omg yeah! it's so nice to be able to drop off the kiddos in disney care with no worries. The cruise is so well run. Thanks for looking and commenting
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Very nice! I have a definite preference for the black and white version.