Options

Backpack review: Kata 3N1-25

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited August 9, 2012 in Accessories
I've had the Kata 3N1-25 for 2 months now and used it with the Canon 50D and now the 5D mk III so wanted to put up a review.

Here's the official product shot:
t718_KT_PL_3N1_25_pres_p1.jpg?1318869295

Short version: I love this backpack

Longer version: I really love this backpack...
So I decided to move from the Crumpler 7 million dollar home as the sling/messenger bag was no longer comfortable (especially on bike rides where it would swing too much). I researched bags for a while and then found the new Kata 3N1. The 25 seemed aimed at addressing some of the shortcomings of prior backpacks and, rather than going for a discounted price on the older model, decided to pull the trigger on the new one.
Bought from BH for $199 - $40 gift card rebate.

My main concern was whether the backpack would hold all that I wanted and I'm glad to report it does (but it took some doing and buying one extra piece). I currently have the following in the bag:
Canon 5D mk III with Kirk L bracket and hand strap attached to lens with hood in one side of main
i-4TrWK5c-L.jpg
Canon 70-200 f/4 IS
Canon 24-104 f/4 IS
Canon 17-40 f/4
Canon 50/1.8 (soon to be replaced with 85/1.8)
Canon 420EX speedlight
i-2DRnXGn-L.jpg
3 round filters, one grad ND, filter screw thingy
i-QHSssKh-M.jpg
8 CF cards, bubble level
i-G284rGS-M.jpg
Gloves
Headlamp, LED light, remote trigger, medium rocket blower, microfiber cloths
i-94btwsz-M.jpg
Feisol tripod attached to front
i-zXWzNqh-M.jpg

That's a lot of stuff! :barb

Here's how it works:
I ended up having to purchase the KAMVK20 divider kit for an extra $35 (negated the rebate) as the dividers it came with are meant for stacking items horizontally. I chose to go vertical as it was the only way to get the 70-200 in there and ended up making for much cleaner and better access overall.

Here's another product photo from Kata
t718_KT_PL_3N1_25_pres_p2.jpg?1318869296
As you can see, they prefer the horizontal view. I took the dividers and put one long one as divider between the compartments. One side is the 'camera' side where the 5D is kept vertical with any lens I want on it. The 70-200 is a tight fit but goes in without trouble (hood reversed). Camera with any other lens goes with hood in out position.
The other side I outfitted with compartments to hold the lenses. The 70-200 compartment has a fold up velcro divider if I want a smaller lens in there and push it to hold 4 lenses. The very seldom used flash is hiding at the top of the lens side.

Bag is very comfortable to wear and I prefer the 'X' orientation (not me):
t718_KT_PL_3N1_25_pres_p6.jpg?1318869297
It does ride just a bit high but if I get the straps at the right length, it doesn't pull across the neck. This way I can also reach back to unclip one strap and then rotate the bag to grab a lens:
t718_KT_PL_3N1_25_pres_p3.jpg?1318869296

It's a really slick setup overall. There's also a spot for the iPad in the back.
Only nit is that the directions on how to attach the tripod were not very good. I started off putting the supporting strap through the plastic covers over the buckles on each side and one ended up tearing off. I realized later it's supposed to go to the top carrying holder which makes more sense in hindsight.
i-8ftRhg3-M.jpg

Otherwise, the quality of material is very, very good. It also has a rain cover that is reversible with a reflector side to use in bright sun. I took the bag to the beach and used the reflector side out and was thrilled to find the inside at a comfortable temp a few hours later (plus it kept any sand from getting in)

$200 seemed like a lot to pay at the time but the materials really are top-notch. The plastic part above seems to be more decorative than anything so I'm not worried about it.

I figured that, for a backpack that I trust to hold $7000 worth of gear, spending $200 was a small price to pay. Hope this review helps someone in the market for a backpack.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    That looks pretty darn slick!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JasonMorrowPhotoJasonMorrowPhoto Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2012
    Thank you for posting this. I'm now salivating and saving for one myself.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    Thanks for posting, i like the horizontal idea....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    JasonMorrowPhotoJasonMorrowPhoto Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2012
    Thank you for this review. You have really sparked my interest in their bags. Enough that I'm gonna get one myself. wings.gifI really like the horizontal use.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    Update: bag still great; customer service is ridiculously good

So after I caused the tear you see above, I emailed Kata to review the matter with them. After sending the email, I realized through use that the plastic piece is purely decorative and proceeded to enjoy the bag.

Kata contacted me and asked for further info concerned there might be a manufacturing defect. I contacted them and explained there was no problem with the bag, just my stupidity at threading the loop through the obviously (in hindsight) wrong part. They seemed reassured but I got a follow up email asking again that I send the the bag so they can know I have a perfect one without the tear. I humbly refused...I like the bag too much to be without it...but wanted to update this post to share the incredible level of support that these bags carry.

It's a pleasure to know the company will firmly stand behind their product even when users manage to make stupid mistakes thumb.gif
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2012
    I know how you feel. i now use mine for the Sigma 150-500, all horizontal thanks for the idea....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TorLTorL Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2012
    Good review. I have used the 3 in 1 - 20 ( slightly smaller) for an E-5, 12-60, 50-200, flash and other paraphernalia. Love this bag.

Sent from my Droid