Options

Toketee Falls

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited August 10, 2012 in Landscapes
just got back from spending a couple of days in southern Oregon, doing some "reconnaissance" for future reference, and while i was there, i snuck up into the Umpqua River valley to shoot a couple of the waterfalls there. this one is called Toketee Falls, and everything i'd read about shooting it said to go on a cloudy day, or shoot it very early in the morning, because the falls is in full sun from noon on. so what do i do? arrive there at 6:45 PM, of course... ::) so i figured i'd wait till the sun went down, and shoot it in the shade then. an hour and 15 minutes later, the sun did the whole "alpenglow" thing on the rocks around the falls, and i figured that'd be a much more dramatic shot than the usual shady, low-contrast, low-color images you see of this place (and it is!). had to use a grad ND filter rotated 45 degrees to tone down the brightness and balance the exposure a bit, but i got the shot i wanted!

the falls is actually two tiers. the top on is 28 feet, and the lower tier is 85 feet. there's only one place to view the falls from, and that's the platform i was on. the walls of the gorge are sheer, and only someone with a serious death-wish would try to climb down into the basin for a photo... i've been known to take risks occasionally to get a shot, but i'm not that crazy!! ;)

5D2, 24-105 @ 67mm, 1/100 @ f/11, with a polarizer and 2-stop grad ND....

SunsetatToketeeFallssm-1.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2012
    Beautiful, Rocky.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    Unusual falls. Very good job on a very difficult and demanding exposure thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2012
    thanks, Randy and Lauren!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    GallopingphotogGallopingphotog Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2012
    Lovely shot. We hope to stop there on a visit to Oregon in August.
  • Options
    rmichaeldavisrmichaeldavis Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2012
    Very nice! Was in the Columbia River/Multnomah Falls area in May...so pretty up there. I will put this place on my bucket list for the next trip! Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    72Sandeen72Sandeen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2012
    wow, what an awesome shot..thank you for sharing it here..It really shows the wonder of nature and God's fantastic creations!! i just love it looking at the photo.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 10, 2012
    Great falls, and great job capturing it, Rocky. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    A fine result of your effort thumb.gif Truly, a highly interesting waterfall carved right out of that basalt columnar jointing. Pretty cool.
    Michael