Jewel Box Forest Park, St. Louis

The BarbarianThe Barbarian Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited August 14, 2012 in Landscapes
7723608066_cd5e8e938f_c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    I like this shot - a reasonable application of (I assume) HDR.
    The lighting is very even and the sky is very pleasing.
    Nice!

There is a very similar koi and lily pond in (iconic) Balboa Park in San Diego.
    On Sat. night, a flash mob of 1500 persons held a midnight squirt gun fight and completely trashed the pond - drained it and killed the koi and the lilies.
    It's a regular scandal in town.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    Thanks. I do like the occasional extreme HDR, but to me, it's mostly a tool for making good images, and the first thing you see in an image shouldn't be "oh, HDR" any more then "oh, nice DOF."
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    I think this is a better application of HDR than your Iowa Capital version. This is very nice.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 13, 2012
    To me the image appears a bit flat, as is often the case straight out of many HDR tools. A curves adjust and maybe a bit of color correction would make this image pop. I can post an example if the OP desires.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of the cooked look. I enjoy seeing some of them, but I like a natural effect in my images. This is what happens too often:

7776751950_b82eb2ac5e_b.jpg
    Neon greens, incipient haloing, and all the rest that says "HDR!"

Some people can do that well. Doesn't work for me. I like it when (as in the case of the first image) a knowledgeable person looks at it, and isn't sure it's an HDR.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    On the other hand, a small sigmoid adjust for curves doesn't look bad.
    7776851844_27312b3b11_b.jpg
    I'm not sure which I like better.
  • Options
    mtoddmtodd Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    I like ^^ this one the best.
    Michael's Outdoor Photography

Canon 7D|Canon 350D|50mm f1.4|100mm f2.8 Macro|17-55mm f2.8|24-105 mm f4.0 L|70-200mm f2.8 L|200mm f2.8 L|400mm f5.6 L
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    Lost some detail in the sky...
    7778357476_9db47c3fdf_b.jpg
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    I wouldn't say you lost detail in the sky, it was just more muted. For this image the sky is just a backdrop I'd say. I prefer the more muted sky, it lets the foreground details stand out more. Your last sky has too many contrasty edges that draw my attention away from the pond and building.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    the only niggle with this one is that it's too flat... the shadows and highlights that would normally give depth to the image have been muted to much. shadow areas that would normally be deep shade aren't, and highlights that should accentuate lighting and texture are missing. that's the danger with HDR... it's so easy to lose that depth, even if you don't obviously overcook the image. some people like that slightly flat look, but personally i'm not a big fan of it.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    This set of images is what I find quite interesting about HDR. The tool is designed to convey a large range in contrast, yet the majority of images I see labeled as HDR are quite flat. Look at the histogram of most and you won't see much in the way of tonal range.

Of all the images in the thread, I think the last is the best but I still think it's flat. Quite honestly, I wonder if this scene even required multiple exposures. The contrast between the sky and the foreground doesn't seem that extreme.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site