Options

Yellowstone's Hoodoos

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 16, 2012 in Landscapes
This is what hoodoos look like when earthquakes get to them. This jumble of rocks is identified by road signage as being the park's hoodoos. If you look closely at these rocks, you can easily visualize that, at one time, they looked more like the traditional hoodoo. There's apparently a lot more seismic activity within the park than I had thought.

Yellowstone-1-201-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    Good shot, and interesting facts.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Good shot, and interesting facts.

Thanks for looking in, Don. I appreciate the comment.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    ....... There's apparently a lot more seismic activity within the park than I had thought.

Nice capture of some interesting features....I haven't been to Jellystone Park since I was a kid - your recent posts make me think I need to get back there - thanks for sharing.

Here's a wiki about the Yellowstone Caldera - interesting and scary..... although I spend most of my time worrying about an asteroid strike. rolleyes1.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Nice capture of some interesting features....I haven't been to Jellystone Park since I was a kid - your recent posts make me think I need to get back there - thanks for sharing.

Here's a wiki about the Yellowstone Caldera - interesting and scary..... although I spend most of my time worrying about an asteroid strike. rolleyes1.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

It's great to hear from you, Eric.

Before going out there, I read up on the Caldera thing. There's no question about it; when that area blows, there's going to be a REALLY BIG show.:hide

I'm with you, though, about that asteroid stuff. I think that's a case of " not if, but when ".

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    There's apparently a lot more seismic activity within the park than I had thought.

considering Yellowstone sits in the caldera of a supervolcano, over the top of a huge magma chamber, it's not surprising there's near constant geothermal and seismic activity there.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    I'm with you, though, about that asteroid stuff. I think that's a case of " not if, but when ".
    Take care,
    Tom

the worst part of the asteroid thing is that there's almost no one, aside from a few amateur astronomers, paying any attention to NEOs. we could get blind-sided by a rock the size of Manhattan, and never see it coming till it was almost on top of us. if Yellowstone unzips, it'll mess up the climate for a few years, and possibly cause a "nuclear winter"... if a rock the size of Manhattan smacks us, nothing bigger than a shrew will be around to tell about it.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2012
    squirl033 wrote: »
    the worst part of the asteroid thing is that there's almost no one, aside from a few amateur astronomers, paying any attention to NEOs. we could get blind-sided by a rock the size of Manhattan, and never see it coming till it was almost on top of us. if Yellowstone unzips, it'll mess up the climate for a few years, and possibly cause a "nuclear winter"... if a rock the size of Manhattan smacks us, nothing bigger than a shrew will be around to tell about it.

Hey Rocky,

You're right, of course, in that it's not surprising that Yellowstone is such a hotbed for hydra-thermal and seismic activity. After you're visually confronted with all the evidence, however, the impact of those facts takes on new dimensions.

I'll most likely be gone when the big rock swoops in on Earth. God help those who are around to suffer the consequences.

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
  • Options
    JimClarkJimClark Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Some little creatures sure like those HooDoo's
    "Christianity, if false, is of no importance,
    and if true, of infinite importance. The only
    thing it cannot be is moderately
    important." C. S. Lewis
    http://www.photosbyjimclark.com/
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2012
    JimClark wrote: »
    Some little creatures sure like those HooDoo's

You're sure right about that, Jim. Scads of those critters were darting all over the place.

Tom