Options

Need help for printing with Mac with Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle paper

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited August 17, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I am looking for help and what I really would like is for you - experts in this matter - far easier than to me, a humble amateur photographer. I thank you for any help to start with.

I have a Mac of course 27" a Spider as monitor calibrator, an Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle Fine Art paper. I use CS5 and I print through this very program of course.

My problem is that when I arrive to the box Print Settings/Basic/Media Type, my Hahnemuhle paper is not there and I think it should as Epson is...

i am not sure if I am explaining myself correctly but I can try again.

Thank you any help. Oh ! I have the icc profiles installed !
i-8x95fRd-X2.png
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited August 15, 2012
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom forum, where you'll find similar discussions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited August 15, 2012
    Are you saying that you installed the profile according to the Macintosh instructions on this page?:

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/221/installing-profiles.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Are you saying that you installed the profile according to the Macintosh instructions on this page?:

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/221/installing-profiles.html

Indded Ziggy. :D

But the problem is not there I think...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    If you go to the Hahnemuhle website they recommend you use the following settings for fine art baryta.

1) Source Space: Document
    2) Profile: regarding to your paper and ink combination
    3,4) Rendering Intent, Black Point Compensation: Needs to be chosen regarding to the image you‘re using. Eventually you need to test.
    No recommendation possible.
    Print Driver / Media Settings:
    5) Media: Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster
    6) Quality: Quality / SuperPhoto
    7) Mode: Colormanagement Off

I don't use Epson printers so I don't know if you have the ability to generate a custom media type or not, but one of the Epson presets should work just fine.

I have a Canon printer and if I took the time I could generate custom media settings for various papers, but I just use the Hahnemuhle recommended Canon profile and it works great.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    If you go to the Hahnemuhle website they recommend you use the following settings for fine art baryta.

1) Source Space: Document
    2) Profile: regarding to your paper and ink combination
    3,4) Rendering Intent, Black Point Compensation: Needs to be chosen regarding to the image you‘re using. Eventually you need to test.
    No recommendation possible.
    Print Driver / Media Settings:
    5) Media: Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster
    6) Quality: Quality / SuperPhoto
    7) Mode: Colormanagement Off

I don't use Epson printers so I don't know if you have the ability to generate a custom media type or not, but one of the Epson presets should work just fine.

I have a Canon printer and if I took the time I could generate custom media settings for various papers, but I just use the Hahnemuhle recommended Canon profile and it works great.

Sam

Thank you Sam. :D
    Do you think it is worth the Super Photo quality ?

Isn't the 1440 dpi good enough to get a decent image ?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    Thank you Sam. :D
    Do you think it is worth the Super Photo quality ?

Isn't the 1440 dpi good enough to get a decent image ?

Antonio,

It doesn't matter if I think 1440 dpi is good enough or not. What matters is if you think it's good enough.

You and only you are responsible for the final print. I am not familiar with the Epson settings and terminology so I can only guess that "Super Photo Quality" prints at the highest dpi the printer is capable of. Only you can determine if the difference is worth it. Run some test prints on different papers using both the 1440 and the super settings and see if you can tell the difference. Also set them up side by side and see if others can see a difference.

Good luck and let men know what you find.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Antonio,

It doesn't matter if I think 1440 dpi is good enough or not. What matters is if you think it's good enough.

You and only you are responsible for the final print. I am not familiar with the Epson settings and terminology so I can only guess that "Super Photo Quality" prints at the highest dpi the printer is capable of. Only you can determine if the difference is worth it. Run some test prints on different papers using both the 1440 and the super settings and see if you can tell the difference. Also set them up side by side and see if others can see a difference.

Good luck and let men know what you find.

Sam

Strong and right point :D