Options

Who knows what this is?

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited August 21, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Reprocessing images from the hard disk cellar.

Sam
i-RMJJ2Qz-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 16, 2012
    Inside a submarine; specifically, one of an array of four torpedo tubes. USS - WWII vintage.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    You win David; pick any teddy bear from the top shelf....

It had me baffled

Good quiz Sam
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    My first guess was the U-505 that's in Chicago, but that's German and the tube hatches are much simpler looking. I can add that it doesn't look exactly like the interior of the Gato or the Cod. Yet, it doesn't look unlike them either. The fore and aft torpedo bays might be slightly different, so I wouldn't rule them out.

Google helped me, I confess. For the prize, I grabbed the medium sized talking green iguana wearing the top hat, next to the teddy bears.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited August 17, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    My first guess was the U-505 that's in Chicago, but that's German and the tube hatches are much simpler looking. I can add that it doesn't look exactly like the interior of the Gato or the Cod. Yet, it doesn't look unlike them either. The fore and aft torpedo bays might be slightly different, so I wouldn't rule them out.

Google helped me, I confess. For the prize, I grabbed the medium sized talking green iguana wearing the top hat, next to the teddy bears.

Good one, David. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    david_s85 wrote: »
    my first guess was the u-505 that's in chicago, but that's german and the tube hatches are much simpler looking. I can add that it doesn't look exactly like the interior of the gato or the cod. Yet, it doesn't look unlike them either. The fore and aft torpedo bays might be slightly different, so i wouldn't rule them out.

Google helped me, i confess. For the prize, i grabbed the medium sized talking green iguana wearing the top hat, next to the teddy bears.

Hehe...:D:D:D
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2012
    WOW, are you guys good or what! OK then does this help identify the sub any further? The ship was named after "Trachinotus carolinus"

Sam
    i-bp2hbcW-L.jpg

i-ctkd8bQ-L.jpg

This man was one one of the welders who built this ship in 1943.
    465357719_qYSfk-L.jpg
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    Was thinking torpedo tube but those details have been filled in nicely by several keen to it. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    I wouldn't of guessed what it was :D Neat that you were able to get a photo of one of the men that helped build it.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    WOW, are you guys good or what! OK then does this help identify the sub any further? The ship was named after "Trachinotus carolinus"
    Sam

I've got my stuffed animal prize and I took my turn above, so I won't take another Google stab at this. I will, however, leave a hint that there's a Smugmug user's gallery about (not Sam's or mine) that has almost the same photo above with the torpedo launching rails and ladder and mess tables.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Okay, Sam, I'm Googling like crazy but the results are somewhat contradictory. The boat in the photos definitely looks American; the signage is in English and the style seems American rather than British or Aussie.

The only boats I can find named for the Trachinotus carolinus are American; SS-181 (commissioned 11 March 1937, lost at sea late September 1943, presumably to Japanese mines), and SS-491, which had her keel laid in July 1944 but was never completed due to the end of the war.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I've got my stuffed animal prize and I took my turn above, so I won't take another Google stab at this. I will, however, leave a hint that there's a Smugmug user's gallery about (not Sam's or mine) that has almost the same photo above with the torpedo launching rails and ladder and mess tables.

David,

Please supply a link to these images!!!!

I would love to see them.

Sam

I'll give another day then give you the name.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    USS Pampanito (SS-383) :D
    Really nice job on the BW effort and everything else.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    basfit and DaddyO win the prize! Pick anything from the top row...........

Sam
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    I can't speak on what or which sub... but the photos are stunning to say the very least.