Options

A Few From The " Painter's' Pot "

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 20, 2012 in Landscapes
The " Painters Pot " is one of Yellowstone's many basins for hydro-thermal activities. The many hues of colors present are the genesis for the name. Though less colorful, some of the mud pits there are equally amazing to see.

Yellowstone-2-348-X2.jpg

Yellowstone-2-351-X2.jpg

Yellowstone-2-416-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 18, 2012
    Great colors and fascinating geography, Tom. I drove by Painters Pot lots of times on my trip, but it was always so crowded I never turned in. Your pics are making me regret that decision.

You should consider submitting some of your photos from your trip to Meunch University for review. See [thread=88305]this thread here[/thread] to get started.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Great colors and fascinating geography, Tom. I drove by Painters Pot lots of times on my trip, but it was always so crowded I never turned in. Your pics are making me regret that decision.

You should consider submitting some of your photos from your trip to Meunch University for review. See [thread=88305]this thread here[/thread] to get started.

I hear you about those crowds, Joel. When you finally get to the parking area for Painters Pot, it becomes one of the biggest " Cluster F**** " you've ever seen. But, BOY!!!! Painters Pot is where Yellowstone gets all dressed up and goes out for a wild evening on the town. The variety of features and all the colors put forth are simply mesmerizing. Don't miss it if you ever go again.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Man, I have only been to Yellowstone 1 filliping time and I am pretty sure we did not see much as we should have. Reason was it was so crowed everywhere as you mention here. Parking near impossible to see and enjoy a thing. I was more in the mood to leave than stay. That was many a year ago. Any shots I took were on film if that tells ya anything rolleyes1.gif and I had nearly no idea what a really good picture was about our how to take it headscratch.gif Not that my skills have improved that much :D

Neat you were patient and waited to get these pictures. They are nice. Joels is right you should enter one of these. I love geothermal hotsprings. I was practically raised at one our family frequented years ago and personally still go there time to time. Usually off season when it gets cold and just before the snow flies up there. Or if I am in the area and we need a bath or else sleep outside :cry

I am enjoying your Yellowstone pictures. Looking forward to seeing more. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Man, I have only been to Yellowstone 1 filliping time and I am pretty sure we did not see much as we should have. Reason was it was so crowed everywhere as you mention here. Parking near impossible to see and enjoy a thing. I was more in the mood to leave than stay. That was many a year ago. Any shots I took were on film if that tells ya anything rolleyes1.gif and I had nearly no idea what a really good picture was about our how to take it headscratch.gif Not that my skills have improved that much :D

Neat you were patient and waited to get these pictures. They are nice. Joels is right you should enter one of these. I love geothermal hotsprings. I was practically raised at one our family frequented years ago and personally still go there time to time. Usually off season when it gets cold and just before the snow flies up there. Or if I am in the area and we need a bath or else sleep outside :cry

I am enjoying your Yellowstone pictures. Looking forward to seeing more. thumb.gif

Yo Michael,

I think the best time to hit Yellowstone in the Summer is very early June....right after the influx of summertime workers have arrived. The crowds start building in late June and July can be brutal. The worst bunching of people will be in the Old Faithful area, Mammoth Springs, Hayden Valley and Lamar Valley. The various geyser basins also can pile up with folks. The most maddening situation of all, though, is when idiots stop in the middle of the road to look at an animal that's two miles away.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Some nice images of the paint pots area.

Yellowstone is an amazing place and the paint pots is one of those places that can get crowded in a hurry.

If photography is your goal it's best to get in the park early, before light. The park starts to get busy after 9:00 AM and then thins out after 5:00PM perfect timing for photographers.

I look forward to seeing more images from your visit to the park.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    Some nice images of the paint pots area.

Yellowstone is an amazing place and the paint pots is one of those places that can get crowded in a hurry.

If photography is your goal it's best to get in the park early, before light. The park starts to get busy after 9:00 AM and then thins out after 5:00PM perfect timing for photographers.

I look forward to seeing more images from your visit to the park.

Thanks for looking in. Interestingly, I found that some subjects ( particularly in the Mammoth Springs area ) photograph better when the Sun is high in the sky. I think the bright, contrasty light at those times accentuates the subtle color variations in the rocks. Using a circular polarizer can effectively deal with any glare that the brighter light may generate. And you're absolutely right, the place is amazing.

Tom