Options

anyone here with a wifi ipad and a square up device?

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited August 20, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I am trying to figure out a way to use square and I am finally considering the ipad. I think its over priced but some of the features might be good to have.

I dont want to pay for the 3g internet part since its an extra $130, so I was thinking I could use an ad hoc network on my windows vista or windows 7 laptops and use square with that. But before I invest $700 or so I wanted to make sure there are no problems with this. :D

Has anyone here tried and succeeded in this? :)

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I'm guessing you don't have a smartphone you can use the Square device with? You should be able to use square anywhere you have an internet connection. So if you have internet on your laptop, and you can successfully connect your iPad to it for internet, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. But I do NOT have any first hand experience with this as I've only used it strictly on my Android phone.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    no smart phone. :) my wife has the kindle and it doesnt work with an ad hoc network with its wifi but its not very smart either. I dont think the xbox works wtih the ad hoc network eitiher.

I suspect the ipad3 does but I wanted to confirm first. :)
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I am not sure if the device will work with just an internet connection. It needs to verify GPS, and I am not sure if it will do that with internet wifi only. If I do not have a signal and GPS on my phone (like inside a building) I have had issues. The square option with ipad is the way to go with this device as you can create products to save time on check out. Otherwise the smart phone version requires you to type things in each time.
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    That is good to know that it requires a gps lock as well. I was not aware of that. Thanks! Disregard my original post then haha.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    I am not sure if the device will work with just an internet connection. It needs to verify GPS, and I am not sure if it will do that with internet wifi only. If I do not have a signal and GPS on my phone (like inside a building) I have had issues. The square option with ipad is the way to go with this device as you can create products to save time on check out. Otherwise the smart phone version requires you to type things in each time.

I could be wrong, but I dont think gps uses internet. Assuming you were in a place that had a good gps signal and you had an ad hoc network with a laptop, will the square work? :)
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    This page https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/157615 lists info about square compatibility and also has a email address you can use to get specific info. One of the things it mentions is that it only supports iOS and Android and doesn't support non-mobile operating systems which would seem to rule out laptops, but you might want to check with square directly about that.

GerryDavid wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I dont think gps uses internet. Assuming you were in a place that had a good gps signal and you had an ad hoc network with a laptop, will the square work? :)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    This page https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/157615 lists info about square compatibility and also has a email address you can use to get specific info. One of the things it mentions is that it only supports iOS and Android and doesn't support non-mobile operating systems which would seem to rule out laptops, but you might want to check with square directly about that.

the not supporting non mobile os just means you cant run it on your laptop or desktop, with out using an emulator. I have an ipad emulator that im going to try out but I got a feeling its not going to work by what ive read, but ive also read that there is a pretty good android emulator and that it should work with that. that way you can just run it on a laptop and skip the ipad or smart phone.

but that os limitation shouldnt interfear with an ipad using an ad hoc wifi network. :)
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    I think the issue you will run into with an emulator is that square won't be testing it when they do fixes/updates to their software. Also updates to your laptop OS/emulator software can impact things too.

So you might find that it works today but not tomorrow. My guess is that is an issue square has run into before because the compatibility page specifically states that the do not support what they call "experimental" software.

You might want to ask them about the emulator you intend to use. Of course they will tell you not to, but the may give you some guidance about the issues they have run into.

Just something to think about... in the words of Philippe Kahn (Borland software from the early days of PC's) "A thing on a thing is never as good as a thing.":D

GerryDavid wrote: »
    the not supporting non mobile os just means you cant run it on your laptop or desktop, with out using an emulator. I have an ipad emulator that im going to try out but I got a feeling its not going to work by what ive read, but ive also read that there is a pretty good android emulator and that it should work with that. that way you can just run it on a laptop and skip the ipad or smart phone.

but that os limitation shouldnt interfear with an ipad using an ad hoc wifi network. :)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    and just thinking, the emulator may not work because of the gps thing. I wonder why they force you to have gps signal to use their device.

I am trying to decide what device to get. I was going to get the google nexus 7 but there is a comparability issue with the head phone jack, so the square wont work wtih that, which sucks since its only $200 and sounds like a cool device!

I am now thinking about an ipad but im not sure I can justify all the expenses. I have to get insurance wtih it, ive heard to many horror stories about the screen getting destroyed with a simple tap *slight exaggeration, I hope* so there is an extra $100. I am tempted to go for the internet option so I can use it in the future, I dont wnat the added extra monthly expense right now. so thats another $130. So the $500 device is now up to $730. If im going to spend that much Id rather buy a lens. :D

I may just get an ipad 1 for $400 at walmart. :) but I know as soon as I get that Ill find some cool apps and then discover they need the newer ipad.

In the past I was thinking of just getting an ipod touch but there are so many versions I dont know what ios they are running and it has to be a certain one for square.
  • Options
    woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    You may want to hang on a bit and check out the rumors of the IPad Mini. It's rumored to be available (possibly) in Sept along with the Iphone 5. It's supposedly designed to compete with the fire and nexus with a price point around $200-$250. It's all specualtion at this point. Google IPad mini.
    Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    that would be sweet! thanks for the heads up. :)