Options

old negatives

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
edited August 20, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I have a whole box of old negatives from the 1920s mostly. Probably at least 200 of them. They are bigger than 35 mm - probably about 2-3" by 4-5". I think I have prints of some of them like this one - the girl on the left is my mother.

Image84.jpg

Where can I get them printed (cheap)?
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    Google Film Scanning services....measure the negatives so you tell them the exact size and them scanned to Disk (DVD or CD) so they are digitally archived for future generations of your family...then make like 3 or 4 copies for back ups......then you can print at costco or walmart or any where you wish.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    They aren't as big as I thought - 2.3 x 3.4
    Bigger than 35 mm though
    Most places that I've googled seem to assume it will be 35 mm that I want scanned. I really don't want prints - I want digital copies
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited August 20, 2012
    They are all less than 4" x 5" so you have a few options:

1) If you have a local college, university or (better) junior college with a photography curriculum they may also have a "wet" lab with a 4" x 5" enlarger with a glass-plate, negative holder (sometimes called a glass-plate negative carrier). If so, they may use your negatives as a class project or perhaps a student will volunteer to print your negatives. Alternately, they may allow you to enroll in the class and to print the negatives yourself, outside of class hours, of course. In any case you would be responsible for materials costs. There is some risk in this method, of course, for both loss and for damage.

2) You might find someone local with a "contact printer" willing to help you out. You could gang the negatives on the contact printer using an 8" x 10" marked area, and print to 8" x 10". This is relatively quick and fairly easy, so they might not charge too much for the processing. There is the same risk as above for this method.

3) Find someone who owns, or purchase for yourself, a large-format flatbed scanner, capable of scanning negatives. The safest method is to purchase the scanner and scan the negatives yourself. Once the negatives are scanned you can use any printer that meets your quality and cost criteria. The nice thing about this method is that, done properly, you don't have to touch the negatives again in order to make more prints or even to view the images, assuming that you have a suitable computer for viewing the images.

A couple examples of large format negatives I scanned (quickly) for a funeral and a memory video:

337605312_8myRM-XL.jpg

337616566_7cuuZ-XL.jpg

Some suitable scanners:

EPSON Perfection 4990, no longer available new but you can often find them for $300-$400. Very good scan quality and handles sizes to 8" x 10".

EPSON Perfection V700, fairly expensive but available new. Can handle up to an 8" x 10" single or you can gang a bunch of smaller negatives (with similar exposures) to scan at once. Very high quality scans.

If you just want basic, low resolution and low quality scans for proofing, you may even try the DIY approach with any old flatbed scanner:

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/07/how-to-scan-negatives-using-standard-scanner-0

... or this from a Flickr user (see the first 9 images on this link):

http://tinyurl.com/bmso3xh
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    I have a scanner which I have done negatives on in the past, but it doesn't do well unless the negatives are 35mm and I've lost the use of the computer that I used so I would have to go back to the beginning to install the drivers on this computer which is only a little bit higher on my list of things to do than having a root canal by an novice dentist.

I actually have an enlarger and used to do my own printing, but I've given away all the chemistry and I don't think I even have the paper. I've written Bob's cousin Hewett who has a photography studio to see what he would charge me, and I did find one place that will do them for about $1.00 each. So I will see what Hewett says and if he doesn't want to do it, I'll send them off.

Thank you for taking time to help!!!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    Check out scan cafe: http://www.scancafe.com/pricing

You send them the box of negatives, they scan them, and put the images on a website. You choose the ones you want printed and downloaded.

Unfortunately, when I did it, you had to buy half of the negatives you send in, now its 80%. But they do a nice job.