Options

Analytics and SmugMug statistics-How to judge them?

fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited August 21, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everybody
for the period 31-July-2011 > 1-August-2012 I have these figures from Google Analytics:
- 2.290 visits
- 2.097 unique visitors
- 90,22% new visits
and for the same period from SmugMug statistics
- 17.569 total views
Please notice I don't do any paricular SEO activity out of that very basic suggested here in SmugMug help, I sometime post my images on Facebook and I have a photoblog with links to my SmugMug main photo website; that's all.
Now, how should I judge my website popularity? Bad, average, good?
Every advice, suggestion and, of course, critique will be welcome! :clap
Fabio

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,455 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2012
    Not sure why you selected just one day. I would think a longer sample would be more accurate, maybe a month or two?

I have a Smugmug Site and a "regular" site. I don't promote my SM site. I do heavily promote my regular site. Here's my stats for July 31 to Aug 1 for comparison:

Smugmug
    5 visitors
    5 unique visitors
    14 pageviews
    100% new visitors

Regular Site
    184 visitors
    157 unique visitors
    1,235 pageviews
    76.67% new visitors

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2012
    Not sure why you selected just one day. I would think a longer sample would be more accurate, maybe a month or two?
    Mike, thanks for your contribution.
    But the period I selected as sample is not 1 day but 1 year (31-July-2011 > 1-August-2012).
    What are the means by which you promote your Regular Site? And why do you have a SmugMug website that is a twin of your regular one?
    Fabio
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2012
    fabthi wrote: »
    Mike, thanks for your contribution.
    But the period I selected as sample is not 1 day but 1 year (31-July-2011 > 1-August-2012).
    What are the means by which you promote your Regular Site? And why do you have a SmugMug website that is a twin of your regular one?
    Fabio

I guess I missed seeing the year....I was up until 2am...Laughing.gif!

I promote my website by using basic SEO methods. If you click on the SEO for the Photographer link in my signature below, that will explain what I did.

Why do I have a SM site as a twin of my regular site...I actually had my regular site first. I was given a SM site recently, so I just mirrored that.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    I guess I missed seeing the year....I was up until 2am...Laughing.gif!
    At 2am I can't even read italian....rolleyes1.gif
    I promote my website by using basic SEO methods. If you click on the SEO for the Photographer link in my signature below, that will explain what I did.
    Why do I have a SM site as a twin of my regular site...I actually had my regular site first. I was given a SM site recently, so I just mirrored that.
    I will explore your SEO section soon, I definitely have to improve my site popularity. Do you sell many prints online?
    Fabio
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    ... Do you sell many prints online?

I'm not getting rich, but I get an order every so often. I just shipped a 12 x 12 to a customer last month.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2012
    I'm not getting rich.....
    I never thought of getting rich with selling images online either, but I'd really like to make it part of a bigger venture about photography. I'm working to establish as exhibitions and workshops organizer in my hometown, Venice, and along this activity I would carry on and expand my main work as landscape photographer.
    Big goals, but I really need to re-think my job perspectives.
  • Options
    chipjchipj Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    [...]Now, how should I judge my website popularity? Bad, average, good?
    Every advice, suggestion and, of course, critique will be welcome! clap.gif
    Fabio
    Fabio, I'm a little late to this discussion here. Another important area to look at (in the reporting) is the "Traffic Sources" report. SEO and search is only one source of traffic to your photography online, but there are also many other potential sources of traffic. For example, "Referral Traffic" (traffic from other third party sites), can be another important source. I would review the Referral Traffic reporting to check to see what other sources of traffic that are (or aren't) producing additional traffic to your photography site. Once you have these numbers, you can start to prioritize where you need to improve or focus your effort going forward.

Also, if sales is your primary focus, you might want to add conversion tracking to your reporting so that you can see what source of traffic is producing the most number of sales or leads.