Options

One lake, three views

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited August 21, 2012 in Landscapes
Back in the Sierra high country. You know, clouds are great for dramatic skies, but too much and they just suck all the color out of the images. Not sure how I could have shot these for more color.
C&C always welcome.

Which view do you like best? My processing was kind of all over the place on these.

1)
i-8hgSN53-XL.jpg

2)
i-mFpnLBP-XL.jpg

3)
i-SPwfTks-XL.jpg

we did see some color earlier in the day:

4)
i-Dx3KLMR-M.jpg

and what did we do all day? Glad you asked.

5) morning

i-Q3gNdZB-M.jpg
6) afternoon
i-GCcC8dZ-M.jpg
then down the other side
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 20, 2012
    I like the first shot of the lake the best. The foreground anchors the shot and shows the shape of the lake. Plus the sky is better exposed. I guess all you can do in flat light like that is expose as far to the right as possible to capture as much tonality in the midtones as you can and selectively adjust sky/land in post.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    I agree with Joel, I like the first one the best. It feels ( at least to me ) a little more dramatic and the clouds add a feeling of an impending storm rushing up the valley at me.

It sounds as though you aren't happy with the color in these images, but you do have a good range of tones throughout, have you tried black & white on any of these?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Mike- the morning is Sky blue lake, upper Miter basin. Afternoon lake is upper (unnamed) crabtree lake.

Joel and Chris- I'm happy with the shots for the conditions and the skies are memorable but those lakes are a startling blue when sunny.

Thanks for the comments.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Understand the post processing all over the place rolleyes1.gifSome days it is a struggle to dial in and be happy about it everytime. Each shot can and does present "unique difficulties" that can be tough to overcome. It is a sticky wicket. I can have several shots near back to back and no 2 will be the exact same in final. Approximate yes. Each shot gets different tweak strengths to tastes for me.

What a hike! Well done. Looks like you got a lot of good shots out of it thumb.gif I like your marking out the route in the ones you selected too. Tough lighting in a tough environment. Image 1 is the composition I like best as well. As mentioned the foreground interest in composition is the richest in that one. Nice effort all the way around :D
    Michael