Options

Gitzo Travler Kit is it a good buy?

slrtoolslrtool Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited August 22, 2012 in Accessories
I'm looking to buy a light weight tripod and I have seriously been considering the Gitzo The GK1580TQR4 kit from Adorama or B&H. (750). My fear is the head that comes with it. Does not seem good. The GT1582T is $670 but doesn't come with a head. I'd love to have the RRS BH-40, but I have to have a limit. Any suggestions?? Do I go for the better ball head and go for cheaper legs, or get better legs??

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2012
    As one who has not invested in a serious tripod yet, I'm basing this on what I've read here on Dgrin over the years.

The legs, while it is important to have a stable set, are not as important as the head. If you don't have a good head, the legs don't do much for you.

Personally, I would come up with a magic number of what you want to spend, and aim for something like 60/40 split between head and legs. Maybe even 70/30 (with the 60 or 70% going towards the head obviously).

That kind of split should help you get a solid head while still leaving enough for a good set of legs.

Again, take my words with a decent grain of salt, as this is just what I recall from discussions here with a bit of my own thoughts thrown in. I myself do not own a nice tripod yet, it's a luxury I can't afford right now :)

Hope this gets you started, and someone with more experience can chime in and add their thoughts.

Best of luck!
    ~Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,265 moderator
    edited August 10, 2012
    Have you considered a (slightly) less expensive tripod paired with the ball head you want?

When I started looking for tripods I was looking for something lightweight and something that collapsed enough to fit in a relatively small suitcase for when I travel. I ended up with a SLIK PRO tripod - I think the equivalent model to mine now is the SLIK PRO 824CF, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/720717-REG/Slik_615_387_Pro_824_CF_4_Section.html. I paired it with an RRS BH40.

That combination works for me. I switch between a tripod and a monopod; in good light I prefer the monopod but around the edges of the day the tripod is better.

--- Denise
  • Options
    slrtoolslrtool Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    Well I decided to get the RRS BH-40LR ballhead and so far I love it. So easy to work with. It should last for years as solid as it is. Thanks for all of the feed back. clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 22, 2012
    Good choice with the BH-40, it should last forever.

Listen to Denise's advice about legs.

I have several lovely Gitzo and Feisol sets of legs, mostly large, heavy solid rigs, which I use for long glass for wildlife when needed. But rarely otherwise.....

The truth is that the tripod I use the most, and always when travelling by air, is my carbon fibre Manfrotto 190 MF3, which I think is no longer made. I bought mine for under $200. Along with a BH-40 it will hold a full size 1 series body and a 70-200 f2.8 IS L quite adequately, and I have used it with 70-300 and 300 f2.8 glass as well

I think the comparable legs from Manfrotto now is their 190CXV3, which B&H offers for $269.90. Without the center column extended, it is only about 4 feet tall, but this is fine for me, as I prefer to shoot from a low angle for landscapes and scenery shots. It is stated to support 11 pounds, but I would not worry about less than 15 if I was staying with the camera.

Its folded length is 21.5 inches ( fits in suitcases and duffel bags ) and weighs 3.11 pounds. Mine is over 5 years old and been to three continents and the baggage handlers have not harmed it yet. I wrapped a little paracord around one leg, for a nice warm place to grip. Aluminum tripods are cheaper, and when it is below freezing outside, you know why lots of us prefer carbon fibre legs.

If you are tall, this may not be the best choice for you.

Remember when buying legs and ball heads, that good ones should outlast any of your camera purchases, indeed, they may outlast you and I. So, buy a good one, poor ones just get left at home in a closet, and never used.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin