Options

syncing 2 camers

Bob StoryBob Story Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited August 24, 2012 in Technique
Does anyone know how to sync 2 nikons to within a 1/100 of a sec. I've tried pushing the time set buttons together, sometimes its close but sometime it will be off by a least 1/2 a second. The programs that I have tried only allow you to set it to the second, I would like it closer.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited August 21, 2012
    It's important to know which body you wish to sync. Hopefully both bodies are the same model.

It would also be in your interests to let us know your application; i.e. what you wish to do. There may be more than one way to accomplish what you want to do.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Bob StoryBob Story Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2012
    I use Nikon D300s's . I shoot rafting from two different angles and put on slideshows. If the cameras are not in very close time sync people who fall out look very funny as they are falling out in one photo and the next they are still in the raft.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited August 22, 2012
    I'll presume that you are using the intervalometer function of the D300S bodies to do the timed captures.

I'm afraid that time synchronizing those bodies are not going to be very accurate, because they lack a method of "synchronized time base". In other words, these bodies are not designed for your use and application. To be fair, I don't believe that any manufacturer has this capability in a still capture camera.

Video camcorders sometimes have this capability, of synced time base, but I don't believe that they would be suitable either. (Although synchronized 1080p60 would give you a healthy crop of images from which to choose, and 1080p is around 2 MPix which might be enough for your application. Plus it would be HD video, which gives you some new abilities.)

I recommend a radio wireless trigger system which also has an intervalometer capability. For your application I would also want a system which allows you a manual override capability, i.e. the ability to take a dual capture when you see something interesting happening, reverting to timed captures afterwards.

I think that PocketWizard has radio trigger sets suitable for your application and I suggest you contact them for model suitability:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/contact/inquiry/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    Welcome,

Dont forget auto focus will effect you trigger shots, use manual, i think the RF602 (maybe even RF603) would work to trigger 2 cameras at the same time, its not a timer so you would have to fire the shutters from the transmitter. But then if you only need to fire the shutter once and then the internal timer take over, it will work for you.. The transmitter will fire both shutters at the exact same time and with the 300ft range its quite useful, and they are cheap and proven reliable.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com