Options

Just Sharing a Story

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited August 25, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
A week or so ago I was contacted to do a photo shoot. The event would be held on two consecutive nights with the first night being quoted as aprox 2 hours and the second night being 3 hours. The second night would also include staged formal group shots with studio lighting. Usage would be for web, and print use. We also know how the clients estimated time and what the real time is likely to be. :D

This is an annual event and they said they liked the images from 2010, but last year, 2011, they had someone inside do it and many (the most important ones) were unusable.

I know the pro who shoot it in 2010 and his quality and also know the employee (super nice guy, but photographically limited)) who shot it last year.

After they got my quote which was similar to what they paid in 2010 they decided to go with doing it in house again.

So, how does one deal with the concept of "if the quote for high quality usable images is higher than some unstated perceived number" we will do it ourselves and get low quality unusable images for free?"

Again, it's a rhetorical question. Just sharing..................:dunno

Sam

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2012
    Sam,
    When I read your 'shared' topic, The first person to come to mind was Ron White; "You can't fix stupid."

But then~
    I remembered, I very often ask what kind of budget are 'we'/you working with to begin with. I know and you know it's a bottom line question and answer. It is the point made in your 'event'. They had a budget. They did not make you privy to it. If they had, you could have easily answered there is no way. I like doing it this way because when dealing with folks I do not know, it get's them talking. This approach hasn't backfired, but it has gotten me double the money first offered.
    tom wise