Options

Oahu

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited August 25, 2012 in Landscapes
I haven't posted much of anything in a while because I've just been too busy to sit back and actually process any photos. I still head out and take them, I just can't find the time to process and share them! So I've got quite a back log, but one of my most recent trips is certainly the most interesting to share!

About a month ago, the company I work for sent me to Hawaii for an all expenses paid 8 days. The best part was, they paid me to do what I would do if I had been on vacation... take photos! You see, I work for a publishing company, and one of our highest revenue projects is a military newcomer's guide to Oahu (where all the bases are) but we don't really have a good collection of stock photos from the island. So I got 8 days in paradise, to go photograph anything I wanted to. Not a bad way to spend a week.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's some pretty pictures: :rofl

1| Kailua Beach Pre-Sunrise
Oahu-976-XL.jpg

2| Kailua Beach Sunrise
Oahu-1176-enfused-XL.jpg

3| Waimea Falls
Oahu-3196-XL.jpg

4| Waimea Falls Black & White
Oahu-3283-XL.jpg

5| Lanikai Beach Pre-Sunrise
Lanikai-Beach-75-XL.jpg

6| Lanikai Beach Sunrise
Lanikai-Beach-130-XL.jpg

And I've got literally thousands more, so I'm sure I'll have quite a bit more to share soon!

C&C always welcome! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    GeekGeek Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    WOW thumb.gif

as someone that just bought an ND filter and spent the entire weekend trying to do water photos... I'm in awe of your work. Stunning!
    cheers,
    Edward in Colorado
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Geek wrote: »
    WOW thumb.gif

as someone that just bought an ND filter and spent the entire weekend trying to do water photos... I'm in awe of your work. Stunning!

Thank you, Edward. Though I must admit that I didn't use an ND filter on either of the waterfall shots.

I used a circular polarizer (which does cut out about 2 spots of light) and a small aperture (probably around f29 on these). Then, the only real "trick" was waiting for a patch of clouds to cast its shadow on the falls and shoot away.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Good to see you back and posting again Chris :)

And awesome score getting 8 days in Hawaii and paid to shoot!!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    brvheart wrote: »
    Good to see you back and posting again Chris :)

And awesome score getting 8 days in Hawaii and paid to shoot!!

I'm not going to lie to you... it was pretty SWEET to be in Hawaii for 8 days of shooting and getting paid for it.

But I did come home with quite a few photos and now I have to sit an process them all! It's not much, but that's all I can find to complain about! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    Robert_CRobert_C Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    They look awesomethumb.gif Plus you got paid to shoot thumb.gifthumb
    www.bobbycanlobophotos.com

“Photography is not about cameras, gadgets, and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel.” - Peter Adams, photographer ( Sydney, 1978 )
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 22, 2012
    You're living the dream, man. bowdown.gif

I know what you mean about having no time to process. I'm about three road trips behind myself at this point.

Awesome shots. I don't have a favorite here, they're all so good. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    Robert_C wrote: »
    They look awesomethumb.gif Plus you got paid to shoot thumb.gifthumb

Thank you, Robert! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    You're living the dream, man. bowdown.gif

I know what you mean about having no time to process. I'm about three road trips behind myself at this point.

Awesome shots. I don't have a favorite here, they're all so good. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks, Joel! :D

It's been a busy summer for sure, I spent 10 days in New York (Adirondacks & down in NYC) visiting family & friends, then back to San Diego for 5 days, then to Hawaii for 8, back home for 5 days, then to Huntsville, Alabama for 5 days on another work assignment. Talk about TONS of photos! And I'm pretty sure I still have a couple good, unprocessed photos from our Toroweap trip to get to! rolleyes1.gif

If my work wasn't sending me to exotic locales (maybe that should just be singular... Huntsville, AL wasn't all that exotic) I would quit just so I could have time to finally process some photos!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    Some Nice work there - Portrait orientations feels bit or awkward ??
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2012
    karloznz wrote: »
    Some Nice work there - Portrait orientations feels bit or awkward ??

Thanks, Karl.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the question though... Does the portrait orientation feel odd or awkward to you on these?

It always seems to me that a vast majority of my work ends up in portrait orientation so maybe it just no longer feels awkward to me...?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2012
    Nice series! Your watermark is a bit distracting though.

Thanks, Mike! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos