Options

Booms versus Grip Arms

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited August 28, 2012 in Accessories
Hey, all. I want to put an monolight and 22" beauty dish or small octabox at the end of a boom of some sort. After poking around on Amazon and B&H, I'm thinking I want a C stand, preferably a folding one. Plus either a grip arm or boom.

So I'm thinking of getting either a grip arm stand package like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/243966-REG/Avenger_A2030DKIT_A2030D_Turtle_Base_Century.html#pr-header-243966

Or, a plain C stand and a boom like these two items.

http://www.amazon.com/Avenger-A2033FCB-40-Inch-C-Stand-Risers/dp/B003E4792G/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346141045&sr=1-8&keywords=avenger+C+stand

http://www.amazon.com/Avenger-D600CB-Mini-Boom-Black/dp/B00119PZ4A/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_6

I'm thinking the stand plus boom is more versatile and heavy-duty, which is good. On the other hand, the grip arm setup seems like it would be more compact. I'll be using this mainly in my home and don't have tons of room. So maybe the grip might be better at least for the short term? Do I have this right? Any opinions which was to go out there? Thanks!

-joel

Comments

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    David Hobby of Strobist did a nice article comparing the various stands that you describe. I do not have the link handy but think he went with the cheaper C stand from Midwest.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    For a small softbox or beauty dish, the c-stand is nice with the grip arm. The boom is nice because it's not only longer, but can support more weight since it's counterweighted. As for stands, the Avenger stands are good. I prefer Matthews and have half a dozen, but I wouldn't go with "cheap" c-stands under any circumstances. I read Mr. Hobby's article some time back, and while C-Stands may be new to him, they are certainly not to me, or to others around the film or photography industry. There is a reason you will see Matthews C-Stands by the dozens on any Hollywood grip truck or set.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited August 28, 2012
    In addition to what's been said, if you have a dedicated shooting area, you might also consider a "rail" system for the ceiling. For hair and rim lighting, or other overhead accent lighting, it can make some sense and makes good use of space.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2012
    Thanks a bunch, guys. John I found the David Hobby article. Essentially he says he overbought by using Avenger stands and that Mid-West ones are fine. Thing is, the Midwest is still $100, and the Avenger is only $127. Really not enough a big enough difference to worry about.

Perroneford, yes at this point Avenger or Matthews is looking pretty good and they are priced equivalently from what I see. I'm gonna look locally today and see what's around and then buy online if I have to.

I'm leaning toward the grip arm at this point rather than a boom because it's cheaper, smaller and will probably suffice for my purpose for the time being. I can always add a larger boom later.

Ziggy, I don't have a dedicated space for that. Wish I did though. If I get the portables now, they can be used on location as well and won't go to waste even if/when I do get a permanent studio.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2012
    Got the Avenger locally at Keeble and Shucat. Great quality, this will do nicely. nod.gif

i-dwHxhfJ-X2.jpg

i-96H75CF-X2.jpg
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2012
    Very nice. I miss not having a local camera store....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2012
    Yeah, it's one of the few perks of moving back to civilization. Lots of models to shoot is another one. mwink.gif