Options

Cropping

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited October 25, 2005 in Finishing School
I'm not very good at portraits & i didn't know about the rule of avoid cutting off limbs. I still want to keep the loose composition; but i want to save this picture any suggestions?

51774268_17b351e0ab_o.jpg

I would also like to keep that little green fringe out of the picture which is at the bottom of the frame.
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    cool. :uhoh
    ---
    Chris
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Chris,

Nice shot. It lacks pop, which is easily fixed in post. I opened it and avoided doing everything in LAB, but just stuck to basic RGB changes.

Here's what I got:

40212222-L.jpg

And here's what I did. First I adjusted the curves so they looked like this:

40212164-M.jpg

I then boosted saturation and applied photo filter 81 at around 25% opacity (don't remember exactly). I then set the crop to 10x8 and cropped a bit tighter, which I think helps.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Home, bored with a bad back, I tried this in LAB as well, and ended up with this (no crop in this version):

40215301-M.jpg

Here are the curves. Notice that the B curve I moved the center point over to bring up the yellow, since her skin had too much magenta relative to yellow. I also made a little move in the blue to take out the blue cast on her shirt, from the sky.

40215312-M.jpg40215330-M.jpg40215343-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Home, bored with a bad back, I tried this in LAB as well, and ended up with this (no crop in this version):

40215301-M.jpg

Here are the curves. Notice that the B curve I moved the center point over to bring up the yellow, since her skin had too much magenta relative to yellow. I also made a little move in the blue to take out the blue cast on her shirt, from the sky.

40215312-M.jpg40215330-M.jpg40215343-M.jpg
    Thanks. A lot. I'm beginning to understand the whole LAB processing. Hope your back feels better.
    ---
    Chris
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    cutting off limbs
    while not absolute, a general rule of thumb is to chop a limb midway between the joints. so, you did fine thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    while not absolute, a general rule of thumb is to chop a limb midway between the joints. so, you did fine thumb.gif
    ah alright thanks. had no idea.
    i think it was you who told me "midway between the joints"
    ---
    Chris
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D