Options

NAS JBOD vs SATA JBOD

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited August 30, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I'm in the process of migrating from a deskside machine to a laptop. For current shoot/work, I'll want to keep those images on my laptop for performance, but once I get through the sale, I'd like to keep the bulk of the archival data on external drives that are backed up.

My preference is using JBOD (over RAID configurations). I looked into using DROBO a while back but had bad luck with those.

Various companies like Netgear made network-attached JBOD boxes that I can just populate and (presumably) access anywhere in my network as a remote disk. Has anyone used this sort of approach, versus keeping the JBOD attached at the laptop docking station via eSATA? In the latter configuration I'd have better access performance, but lose the ability to access the disks when I'm not docked in the office.

Any other considerations?

Thanks,
-a
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    Using a better search string than what I started with, I found some other threads on this. No need to waste your keystrokes.

General summary: Unless NAS->Laptop connection is Gig-E, I'd be limited at 10Mbps, which is very slow compared to e-SATA (1200) or (Firewire 480). Even then, Gig-E is 1000 so not as good. Mac has a screamer interface (Thunderbird) but I'm on a PC, so that's moot. Not sure if all components of the home network would run Gig-E, and not sure how to tell. I guess I could copy some monster files and see if I get somewhere around expected performance for Gig-E through my routers.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site