Options

Blurry edges and how to stop them

Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited October 16, 2005 in Technique
Hi fellow photographers

Here are three pics and all of them have a blurred area on the photo.

The girl hanging from the bars - her right hand is blurred while the rest of the photo foreground is in focus.

girl.jpggirl.jpg

The large fan leaf - the left bottom corner where the stem begins is out of focus

leaf.jpgleaf.jpg

And the orchid - the top flare of the flower is out of focus.

flower.jpgflower.jpg

How do I keep all of the image in focus please? As much info as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Bruce

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 16, 2005
    Linky no worky. OR I can't see the images with the posted links ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    EXIF would help.

The first is probably due to shutter speed.

The others look to be more DOF issues, where a smaller aperture would of helped.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    EXIF would help.

The first is probably due to shutter speed.

The others look to be more DOF issues, where a smaller aperture would of helped.

Yep. The hand was moving. The rest are just DOF. And EXIF would help to confirm this.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SafariSafari Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Sask2005 wrote:
    The girl hanging from the bars - her right hand is blurred while the rest of the photo foreground is in focus.
    The large fan leaf - the left bottom corner where the stem begins is out of focus
    And the orchid - the top flare of the flower is out of focus.
    I agree with Khaos.
    In a little more detail:

Your shutter speed was 1/160 in the first pic, that's slow for "action". I think you were at or near your maximum aperture, but you could have bumped the ISO to 200 to achieve a higher shutter speed, maybe 1/250 to 1/300, which might have been just fast enough to top the motion blur in her hand. It looks like the light was weak so you may not have been able to do much more, you may have had to choose between (1) a little blur or (2) noise at a higher ISO or (3) underexposure.

The issue in the other 2 pics is probably depth of field. Your exposures were respectively f6.3 at 1/125 and f5.8 at 1/80, ISO 200 in both. I don't know your camera but you probably have a max aperture of at least f8 which would give you more depth of field, maybe enough to give you focus throughout the depth of these subjects. You probably wouldn't want noise at a higher ISO so you would need longer exposures - definitely calling for a tripod, or better lighting. Alternatively or in addition, greater distance from your subject would give you more depth of field.

EXIF shows you used "Creative program biased toward depth of speed". I've no idea what THAT means, but you could use shutter priority in the first pic to choose a higher shutter speed and aperture priority in the other two and set the ISO at 200 rather than auto for all of them (or try a higher setting to see how bad the noise is). Or full manual control.
  • Options
    SafariSafari Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    ViewEXIF
    By the way, I use the ViewEXIF program, free at http://ak.no-ip.com/
    to get info about the pictures. Info is available sometimes, as for these pics, but may not be if a pic has been processed - depends on the software used.