Options

Canon 7D and back focus AF button

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited September 4, 2012 in Cameras
I use the Canon 7D for shooting sports and use the back button for focus. I thought about programming the AF back on another button and changing the shutter button to meter only. Any suggestions from sports shooters out there?

Comments

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I use the Canon 7D for shooting sports and use the back button for focus. I thought about programming the AF back on another button and changing the shutter button to meter only. Any suggestions from sports shooters out there?

I'm not really a sports shooter but I've heard using the back button is good if you can anticipate the action, why do you want to change buttons?
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    Is it best to keep the AF back programmed to do both focusing and metering and the same for the shutter release? I thought about changing the back button for focusing only and the shutter button for metering only?
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    photodad1 wrote: »
    Is it best to keep the AF back programmed to do both focusing and metering and the same for the shutter release? I thought about changing the back button for focusing only and the shutter button for metering only?
    You can only assign Metering & AF Start to the AF-ON button. There's no AF Start function by itself. My recommendation is to assign Metering Start to the shutter button and assign Metering & AF Start to the AF-ON button through the Custom Function IV (pg. 217).

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips