Options

The moon with a P&S ???

RazRaz Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited October 16, 2005 in Technique
Hi!

Nik’s recent moon shots inspired me to have a go at it, even though I doubted my P&S results.

I took it at (4 megapixel) 420mm, ISO 50 (since my camera is very noisy), 1/160, f/8, and it was on a tripod.

The autofocus didn’t manage to do its work, and in manual focus, I saw the picture getting better as I approached the infinity marker, but even when I got there it wasn’t quite in focus.

What you see is a full size crop.

So, can someone please explain what differences from an SLR make the differences in the result? Is it optics? Electronics?
Thanks
Raz
"Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an
approximation to the complete truth..."

-- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

My Galleries

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 16, 2005
    P&S cameras are quite capable of very good astrophotographs. They have been used for years by linking them to the eyepiece of telelscopes - google for digiscoping and you will find a ton of links.

Generally they are inferior to DSLRs because their sensors are much smaller and the individual pixel wells also tend to be much smaller which makes them inherently noisier, especially with longer time exposures where noise becomes more of an issue. A lot of us are eagerly waiting for a good APS or full frame sensor to be installed in a range finder style camera. Epson has done this with an APS sized sensor but it is still a work in porgress.

Here is an image captured with a CoolPix 995, shot through one eyepiece of a Canon binocular - the binocular was tripod mounted - the CoolPix was HANDHELD, hence the blurry image. Takes a few tries, but if you're patient, you'll catch a few frames. I just need to buy the adapter I guess ne_nau.gif

8041859-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    Thanks Path, you sure had me googling for a while.

But putting the noise issue aside, why can't I get those lovely craters?

I can see them in Nik's shot, even though it's 20mm shorter than mine :)

So, if it's not the focal length, what other factors play a role? Is it also to blame with the small sensor?

Thanks
    Raz

My Galleries
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Raz wrote:

J: You need only sleep on it (for a couple of nights). :snore

H: Your answer will appear before your eyes. nod.gif
    J&H
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Raz,
    Raz wrote:

So, if it's not the focal length, what other factors play a role? Is it also to blame with the small sensor?

Thanks
    Raz
    As PF alsready mentioned, P&S can be and actually are used for astro- and seleno-photography quite successfully. You just need some teleconverter -Hubble prolly would be the best, but Palomar would do just fine, too:-)

When I posted my shots at the canon 20D forum at dpreview, one of the response I got was a mind-blowing moonshot taken with (P&S) FZ30 and teleconverter Raynox2020pro:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=15437252

Of course, if you follow the thread you will see it's quite a TC:-). The whole assembly gave him effective focal distance of 1457 mm, while for for my 20D (1.6 FOV crop factor) and (borrowed) EF 100-400L at 400mm the effective focal distance was "only" 640mm, i.e. 2.2 times shorter than FZ30 + Raynox.

As to the "lovely craters":-) - the are best seen next to the terminator line, i.e. NOT when the moon is full. Other than that - my last shot was taken at ISO 200, 1/650sec and f/5.6 - cellphone cameras can do that nowadays.. So all you need is a "reach"...

The rest is purely in God's hands... I mean: altitude (get to the mountains), air clarity (get to the mountains!), clear cloudless sky (move to SoCal:-), light pollution (get to the desert/mountains) are things that could affect your shot most severely.

After that - it's only about how "long" your lens is...

Good luck with the moon shot! I'll surely try another one tonight:-) Wish I had TC 1.4x, so I could jump from 640mm to 896mm:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    Fogot one thing
    Raz wrote:

Thanks
    Raz
    I said yours is 4mp. Mine's 8.2mp. Hence with all other things being equal my 100% crop must be 2+ time larger than yours.

Besides, 20D' sensor is known for its good response to sharpening. Two different cameras of the same resolution can respond differently to sharpening process: one can be sharpened a lot w/o bringing in a lot of noise (thus revealing those "lovely craters"), the other one plain can't - it's a "sensor thing"...

HTH
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 16, 2005
    J: You need only sleep on it (for a couple of nights). :snore

H: Your answer will appear before your eyes. nod.gif
    J&H

Nice to see you back Jeckyll&Hyde :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    AH HUH! So effective focal length is what I should now google about, and try to figure out what's mine.

So, size does matter after all... :D

Thanks all for the info. I bet Mr. Hyde showed himself only because of the (almost) full moon...

Raz

My Galleries
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    just to make sure
    So, when you said you used a 400mm lens, this number is for 35mm film, but since the sensor is smaller, you get a larger effective focal length.

When I said 420mm, it's already "35mm equiv" so that's it for me (w/o a TC).

Am I right?

Raz

For all the n00bs like me, I read it here.

My Galleries
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2005
    In most cases yes
    Raz wrote:
    So, when you said you used a 400mm lens, this number is for 35mm film, but since the sensor is smaller, you get a larger effective focal length.

When I said 420mm, it's already "35mm equiv" so that's it for me (w/o a TC).

Am I right?

Raz

For all the n00bs like me, I read it here.
    The actual focal length does not depend on the sensor size, it's simply lens assembly property. However the effective focal length does depend on so called FOV crop (or sensor size). For 20D it's 1.6x... For fixed lens cameras they usually specify the effective one, since it looks more advantageous marketing wise (most consumers only worry about how much "tele" their camera is)...