Options

Printer update

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 8, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I thought I would start a new thread for the update so it doesn't get lost.

I have started the test prints using 8.5X11 papers and canned icc profiles. The intent is be more precise with paper choices since a 44" wide roll is substantially more expensive than a 17" roll.

Seems a little silly feeding a letter size paper into this behemoth. Kinda like giving a small dog treat to an elephant. :D

First off these big boys aren't really made for sheet paper, and I was made aware of this, so even though it seems a little finicky with sheet paper alignment it is easier than I anticipated so no hesitation to use smaller sheets when applicable.

First off the ipf8300 uses the new Lucia EX ink set. The EX inks provide a wider gamut (by 20%), deeper blacks, improved detail, smoother tonal and color graduations as well as more durability. Note that you do need a XX300 series printer to use the new ink set since the printer heads drivers etc were designed for them.

I noticed the gloss differential is much improved. Blacks are superb. Detail is fantastic right out of the box. I have been playing with some B&W print images as well as my own images, and was very surprised to see the increased over all detail, shadow detail along with smooth tonal transitions.

More info as I learn it!!!

Sam

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Thanks for the update Sam ... I'm going to enjoy reading about this journey of yours!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    The intent is be more precise with paper choices since a 44" wide roll is substantially more expensive than a 17" roll.
    Ok..I'm going to need a picture of this bad boy bowdown.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Ask, and you shall receive:

Sam
    i-NMWsmwf-L.jpg
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    :jawdrop:jawdropbowdown.gifbow
    And boy did you receive...now that would have been a BIG box..nicely done sir! thumb.gif
    I will be watching to see your experience with that monster.
    Gary