Options

Tin Roofs - Bodie

bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited September 9, 2012 in Landscapes
These two images were taken in one of my favorite groupings of shacks and houses in Bodie.

Image #1 is a crop of a larger stitched panorama posted earlier this week. I found the sun reflecting off the tin roofs beguilling. Taken about 10:30 on a cold May morning.

Image #2 Was taken within minutes of image #1.
HDR three image blend. It shows further development of the approaching storm.

Your comments & criticism welcomed.

TinRoofsBodie-X2.jpg

BodieShacksApproachingStorm-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited September 6, 2012
    I like the second for it's tighter and simpler composition which emphasizes the old wood siding and askew roof lines. That sky helps a lot too.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    marcusrichphotomarcusrichphoto Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    I'd love to do a photographic tour of some of the USAs' old Ghost Towns.

#2 is my fav, but then I'm partial to a bit of HDR :)
    Marcus.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

My website: http://www.marcusrichphotography.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    both are good but # 2 does it for me. The capture, composition, sky and soft painterly processing is nice.

Sam
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    There are only a few subjects that lend themselves to "the HDR look," by my lights. The houses in your second image are among the subjects that do. I prefer the first shot, though. Both are well done.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I like the second for it's tighter and simpler composition which emphasizes the old wood siding and askew roof lines. That sky helps a lot too.

I agree with this. The HDR I could do without on the second image, or at least tone it down. You've got nice color and shading in the wood in the first image.

Btw, you've broken the link to second image, I'm working from memory, I looked at your images when I couldn't really reply, but wanted to come back to this thread because i really like what David pointed in the skewed roof lines, it was a really interesting component.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    I agree with this. The HDR I could do without on the second image, or at least tone it down. You've got nice color and shading in the wood in the first image.

BodieShacks-XL.jpg

I've reworked this second image (hdr image). It's still in hdr, but as you said "toned down". HDR strength down.... maybe a little darker.... A blending of only two images used in HDR processing. The color of the tin used for roofing and siding, takes on a great pitina. Thanks for the comments, always welcomed. I think this image is an improvement of the one first posted.

-Len