Options

IR at Newport News Park

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited September 11, 2012 in Landscapes
My IR converted 20D finally died about a month ago. I turned it in to the Canon Loyality Program and got a break on a refub T2i. Verified that it was working correctly and then shipped it off to be converted to 830nm IR only.

Finally got a chance to take it for a spin on Sunday and here are a couple of the images I came away with.

FWIW - these were all taken with either a Takumar 50mm f/1.4 or a Takumar 28 f/3.5 - both manual focus and aperture. Great glass!

Because the RGB elements of the Bayer filter reacts almost equally to the 830nm light, there's not much opportunity for false color in the resulting images. So, one of the PP steps is to run the images through the Greg Gorman B&W Photoshop action one can find at www.atncentral.com.

20120909NNPDockPondGG01-XL.jpg

20120909NNPSwapLook-L.jpg

Enjoy

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    #1 is really nice, very nice exposure and distinction between the elements. #2 doesn't quite work for me, the brightness in the distance draws my eyes away from the foreground which just starts to look like something i have to see through to see the distant treeline.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Hey Scott,

First, great to see you posting again thumb.gif

I don't know anything about IR, except that I like it. These appear to be fine images to me...

I especially like the first image.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    #1 is really nice, very nice exposure and distinction between the elements. #2 doesn't quite work for me, the brightness in the distance draws my eyes away from the foreground which just starts to look like something i have to see through to see the distant treeline.

Yeah, you're right - hadn't thought about it quite that way.
  • Options
    kolibri wrote: »
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Scott,

I don't know anything about IR, except that I like it. These appear to be fine images to me...

I especially like the first image.

Thanks. I'm a little (maybe a lot) ADHD and another hobby drew me away for an extended period of time. I really like IR photography and, since my first IR camera died, I finally got another to replace it.
  • Options
    jonathanlord31jonathanlord31 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    Both are very nice shots. I love the #1.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,867 moderator
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Scott,

+1 on that. clap.gif

I like both images, but I suspect that the second image works better at a large size (i.e. the Internet does not do it justice.)

Gotta love Pentax glass, especially the old Takumar 50mm f/1.4. (I have 2 copies.) Looks to be working nicely for IR. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    +1 on that. clap.gif

I like both images, but I suspect that the second image works better at a large size (i.e. the Internet does not do it justice.)

Gotta love Pentax glass, especially the old Takumar 50mm f/1.4. (I have 2 copies.) Looks to be working nicely for IR. thumb.gif

My Takumar 50 f/1.4 is the second version - the 7-element, radioactive one :D When I bought it, the cement between the elements that make up the groups had all turned yellow. Took me the better part of a month of sun tanning to restore the lens to clear. What I'm really looking to find is a good 8-element version of the Tack 50mm f/1.4.

And, before anyone starts getting upset about the "radioactive" property of the lens .... the glass of one of the elements (the one closest to sensor) has a touch of thorium added to it's chemistry resulting in some radioactivity. The level is sooo close to background that it's virtually undectable. But, this really is one of those that qualify for "They don't make 'em like that any more!"