Options

Patriarch Grove, IR and 'regular' (image heavy)- C&C welcom

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited September 12, 2012 in Landscapes
A couple from Patriarch grove. Spent the day playing 'who's Methuselah'? Thought we figured it out. No highlighted pictures of him though.

Processing is all over the place, especially on the IR, still trying to find my place with that.

C&C welcome, especially on what works for you and what doesn't.

IR was taken with the Tokina 11-16mm, which is great for landscapes, not so great for IR, it has a pretty bad IR hot spot in the center. The IR shots below are some where it was minimized, or converted to B+W using channels not so affected.

a) Not the best photo, but it shows the weather and light we had.

i-zgxwpTd-M.jpg

1)

i-S6hLB2F-M.jpg

2)

i-DpX3ks9-M.jpg

3)

i-3Sm95cB-M.jpg

4)

i-wgJsv9F-M.jpg

5)

i-wkb2CF4-M.jpg

6) This is not actually HDR, just a naturally high contrast image, and I intentionally blew out the highlights in the ground.

i-FmHMBnS-M.jpg

7)

i-Mg7mVbq-M.jpg

8)

i-K3msDMQ-M.jpg

9)

i-pmjPzrP-M.jpg

10)

i-shVWwRK-S.jpg

12) I think the processing on this one is a miss....

i-S48kJGR-M.jpg

13) This one shows the IR hot spot with this lens, it was worse in other shots. Can't see it in the viewfinder, and didn't see it chimping.

i-VqJP7QH-M.jpg

14)
i-QVV43dT-M.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    1 & 3 look a touch soft to me, but as a whole, great series!

I iloveyou.gif #9, with those old weathered branches reaching up for the sky! And your processing on the IR shots looks killer (hot spot or not).
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Nice series. I like #4 & #8 best. Personally I've never cared for color infrared. B+W infrared, yes. I like #4 alot but the fragment cloud at the top in the black sky.... I might consider or think about removing it. Nice clouds and it looks like you captured all the detail in the bright areas.

We are going up to the White Mtns. in a couple of weeks. Love it there.

-Len
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    1 & 3 look a touch soft to me, but as a whole, great series!

I iloveyou.gif #9, with those old weathered branches reaching up for the sky! And your processing on the IR shots looks killer (hot spot or not).

Thanks, I'm working on the IR, haven't given it as much time as I thought I would, but I learn something every time I go out. 1 is a bit soft, focusing IR on a dslr system is a bit tough with some lenses, I'm hoping for a second or third generation of digital interchangeable lens mirrorless that will be more ideal for IR. 3 has some sharpness in the full scale version.

Nice series. I like #4 & #8 best. Personally I've never cared for color infrared. B+W infrared, yes. I like #4 alot but the fragment cloud at the top in the black sky.... I might consider or think about removing it. Nice clouds and it looks like you captured all the detail in the bright areas.

We are going up to the White Mtns. in a couple of weeks. Love it there.

-Len
    Thanks, we had good skies that week. The new visitor center hadn't opened yet, and ironically, the night we were there, a bristlecone next to the brand new visitor was hit by lightening and burned overnight. Apparently they parked an Inyo firetruck up there for the next day or two. Driving home the next day, there was snow on white mountain peak, above about 13,500', more snow than we had up there Jan 2nd. Strange year.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Lovely images. 1, 5, 7, & 13 appeal the most to me. Don't know technics so no c&c. Show what you feel. IMO.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    IR pics are some of my absolute favorites.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 12, 2012
    Really cool set, Kolibri. I'm digging your processing choices. I'm not usually a fan of IR, but yours are pretty compelling. I'm going to say the same thing to you that I tell Walter -- I wish you'd post them a bit larger. I'd especially like to see the details in #4 and 13 better. I'm old, and don't see so good any more. :rutt