Options

Bison and geysers

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited September 12, 2012 in Landscapes
The two bison on the far right seemed to be very curious about the nearby thermal activity. When the smaller geyser let loose a big blast, they bolted for cover.

Yellowstone-3-109-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Nice buffalo blbl.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    Nice buffalo blbl.gif

Only one thing left for me to do....:hide and then :slurp
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    Nice critters thumb.gif

You'd think they'd be use to the geysers ... living by them as they do.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Very pleasing image, Tom. I like the way you left room for the steam which really balances the shot.

I have a fondness for bison and geyser shots and have a very different one here if you want to take a look.
  • Options
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Nice critters thumb.gif

You'd think they'd be use to the geysers ... living by them as they do.

That's it !!! You hit on the answer to it all, Mary. We'll just call these things " critters ". Won't have to worry about all that bison/buffalo stuff.:D

I'm not sure, but perhaps when a geyser lets loose a big blast ( like this one ), some scalding water is spewed out and the critters have learned to run.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    kdog wrote: »
    Very pleasing image, Tom. I like the way you left room for the steam which really balances the shot.

I have a fondness for bison and geyser shots and have a very different one here if you want to take a look.

Thanks for the visit, Joel.

Your bison shot is very good. I'm trying to schedule my next Yellowstone trip for Winter time....preferrably at a time when there's lots of snow but before they start shutting down huge sections of the park. If you have any input about that, I'd like to hear it.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    I think the roads are closed to cars well before the snow, Tom. Nov 5th looks like the closing date according to this page: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/open_closedates.htm

After that you can travel anywhere in the park via snow coach or snow mobile. Also the road between Gardiner, MT and Cooke City which goes through the Lamar Valley is open all year around. No thermal action, but good for spotting wildlife.