• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 16, 2012
    Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.x Preview Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXKZJl238I
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Like I said on Twitter, I am still getting used to Lion. I am waiting for Thunder Cat. (For those not of the same age - Thundercats was a child's cartoon show http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThunderCats)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    That made me a little sad that you had to explain what Thundercats was...
    edited February 16, 2012
    Like I said on Twitter, I am still getting used to Lion. I am waiting for Thunder Cat. (For those not of the same age - Thundercats was a child's cartoon show

:D TC 10.9.x might only take them another 8 months to get around to announcing. Get your Thunderbolt 2.0 devices ready.
    My Smugmug
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »

International crowd, just in case...
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Not to be confused with Thunderbirds! :D
    edited February 17, 2012
    Not to be confused with Thunderbirds! :D

Well, for that one, I'm glad for the wikipedia reference mwink.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Well, for that one, I'm glad for the wikipedia reference mwink.gif
    ... and a taster here!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Fantastic resource of Lion tips. I learned a ton.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    OS X Lion
    I use Aperture with Snow Leopard and I am finally considering upgrading to Lion. Any advice from those of you that use Aperture and plugins with Lion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan :D
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    My MBA came with Lion and my old MBP is still on SL. I run Aperture on both, but other than Pixelmator, I don't use many plug-ins or external editors. There are some small behavioural differences in Aperture between the installations e.g. handling full-screen modal dialogue boxes, but otherwise I haven't run into anything that's substantially different. I've decided to keep the MBP on SL as it's coming up on four years old and it might be due for a replacement this year. I'd rather have it in it's current shape for potential resell in case someone needs Rosetta, etc...
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Fantastic resource of Lion tips. I learned a ton.

I bet the tips are helpful, but putting them in a sideshow so he can display 80 ads along the way is really obnoxious.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    dlplumer wrote: »
    I use Aperture with Snow Leopard and I am finally considering upgrading to Lion. Any advice from those of you that use Aperture and plugins with Lion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan :D

I think Aperture is faster on Lion than it was on Snow Leopard, from my experience. It's certainly not noticeably slower, which is what I saw on the upgrade from Leopard->Snow Leopard with Aperture 2. That was very, very frustrating.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Thanks, guys. Been using Lion for about a week or more now, and it has been flawless. Glad I waited.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 12, 2012
    You guys probably know that I'm not a Mac fanboi, but oh man, I want one now. http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

iloveyou.gif
  • pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    You guys probably know that I'm not a Mac fanboi, but oh man, I want one now. http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

iloveyou.gif

I put in my purchase req at work today. :D:D
    edited June 12, 2012
    I was in a position one month ago where I had to buy right then. So I bought the 13 inch MacBook Pro and the 27 inch thunderbolt display. I knew the upgrades were coming soon but I couldn't wait. My big fear was that yesterdays 13 inch pro upgrade would be huge. Thankfully it wasn't, and I'm fine with what I have.

The new 15 inch is gorgeous but not what I need right now. The good news is that in two years when I'm ready to buy again, all of Apple's computers will be like that.
    edited June 13, 2012
    I think the standard 15" MBP is way overpriced when compared to the 13" MBA. The air has everything you need in a portable and the same resolution at a lower cost and weight. Needless to say, I love mine.

And it's also needless to say the new retina display MBP is a thing of beauty.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited June 13, 2012
    I agree about the Air being great - I miss having one.

In this case, I was trying to replace a desktop and a laptop with one machine. The Air didn't have a good enough processor or support enough RAM.

So with the Pro + cinema display I get a very good desktop (i7, 16GB RAM) and a computer that, while not as slick as the Air, is still a laptop when I need it to be. 80% of the time I just use the iPad as a laptop and leave the MBP at home on the desk.
    edited June 13, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    I agree about the Air being great - I miss having one.

In this case, I was trying to replace a desktop and a laptop with one machine. The Air didn't have a good enough processor or support enough RAM.

So with the Pro + cinema display I get a very good desktop (i7, 16GB RAM) and a computer that, while not as slick as the Air, is still a laptop when I need it to be. 80% of the time I just use the iPad as a laptop and leave the MBP at home on the desk.

Makes sense.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2012
    edited September 13, 2012
    So, who's getting the iPhone 5? ear.gif
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    Andy wrote: »
    So, who's getting the iPhone 5? ear.gif
    Millions of people will be upgrading from their archaic iPhone 4, 4s or otherwise buying new. :D

But, I will not be among them. My iPhone 4 (not even a 4s) works fine, looks new, and I use an iPad for most other things that I used to use the phone.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    I have a 4S, but my wife has a 3GS. Thinking of a way to talk her into upgrading to 5, but swapping phones with me :)
    I'm not finding any compelling reason to upgrade from my 4s. I'm happy with it.

The thing I'm really excited about is the Kindle Paperwhite. October 3rd will be a fine day for me (assuming the shipping estimate is accurate!)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    I'm still using the original 3G. I think I'm due for an upgrade.
    I'm preordering from AT&T tonight at 3:01am ET thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    I will be getting one for Kathy at the very least, Andy. She currently has a first generation Droid with Verizon, that needs to be put to pasture.

My question is should I get it from Verizon or AT&T.

I do have an iPhone 4 myself, with AT&T, but Verizon's network is better out west.

What will the LTE enabled 5 be like in the UK and Europe? Anyone know?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    Since I only need to rely on my $5/month clamshell phone for occasional use, I'm not interested in an iPhone in any version, but the new iPod Touch intrigues me. Can anyone confirm that it might have new GPS capability? I've read that it does, but I can't find that in the Apple specs page. I can think that all the photography apps would be great to have in remote areas if they can work with a GPS enabled Touch.

EDIT: Drat. New iPod Touch does not have a GPS chip. There are aftermarket cases with that for ~$100 though.
    My Smugmug
    David - I could have sworn the touch got GPS but you're right...Maps app with approximate location. Not cool.

I'm upgrading two iPhone 4 to the 5. Wife really wants to talk to Siri. I want a phone without a broken power button...

Not sure about 3:01 Andy - I did that two years ago and the first hour was brutal with downed servers. Might just try my luck at 6am.