Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

1147148149150151153»

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    Pathfinder-
    Only nit with the Verizon version is that you cannot talk and surf at same time - that goes for LTE as well. That is not a huge problem but, nice to be able to do on those occasions when you want it.
    If the network around you favors Verizon, I would go with them.
    We actually get better reception with ATT in town so am sticking with them...also the 24% discount from work doesn't hurt.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I will be getting one for Kathy at the very least, Andy. She currently has a first generation Droid with Verizon, that needs to be put to pasture.

My question is should I get it from Verizon or AT&T.

I do have an iPhone 4 myself, with AT&T, but Verizon's network is better out west.

What will the LTE enabled 5 be like in the UK and Europe? Anyone know?

In a strange twist, the LTE frequencies that Verizon is using are the more 'universal' ones. same as in Europe, while AT&Ts frequency is essentially only used by AT&T. So, if you expect or want to use your iPhone5 overseas, the Verizon model is the way to go this time. And yes, there are two models this time, unlike the 4s.
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    I believe it's been confirmed that Verizon and Sprint iPhones will *NOT* be able to use data and voice simultaneously even on LTE.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    And ordered wings.gif
    ATT site failed
    Used Apple one
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 16, 2012
    My wife's iPhone WILL be Verizon based, so I may keep my AT&T version - that will give us coverage on both networks, which offers somewhat better overall access.

Kind of crazy isn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    ZBlack wrote: »
    I believe it's been confirmed that Verizon and Sprint iPhones will *NOT* be able to use data and voice simultaneously even on LTE.

Yep just like before. Because the carriers haven't implemented voice over LTE, the phone actually has to switch to 3G for voice
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    So I'm considering coming back to Smugmug after a brief affair with Flickr. The one feature that it's going to kill me to lose is having my Flickr galleries set as screensavers on my AppleTV (we have one on each TV and leave them running on slideshows most of the day). In the age of IFTT and iCloud, I shouldn't be dependent on Apple to add Smugmug to the ATV software. I'd love for someone to help me think through a way to automatically sync my (constantly updating) Smugmug galleries with something the Apple TV can use - iCloud, local machine's iPhoto library, etc.

FYI: I use Lightroom 4 to process images and upload to Smugmug. I'd really like for that to be the only uploading I have to do manually.

(EDIT: I found this article but haven't had a chance to work through it yet to see if it's a solution for me: http://www.cultofmac.com/223651/how-to-make-lightroom-and-iphoto-libraries-both-exist-together-on-your-ipad-feature/ )
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    I am not sure if this works for you, but it works for me. I create a Publish service to a hard drive in Lightroom. That Publish service populates the folder in iTunes/iPhoto that AppleTV grabs the images from. When I want to update I just click Publish on the Publish to hard Drive button. I can document it more if needed.

Hope that helps.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2014
    Brilliantly simple!

I'll give that a try tonight. I hadn't though of using Lightroom to do the "push," and didn't know that iTunes could watch a folder for changes like that.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 16, 2014
    Any Mac developers out there?
    Anybody know what "Cause of shutdown -4" means? I'm trying to diagnose an intermittent problem on my wife's old MacBook running 10.5.8. I suspect overheating, but before I risk popping the case to clean out the crap, I'd like to confirm my hunch. I've posted on the Apple support forum, but have not gotten an answer. That code is in the system log, btw, and corresponds in time with when the machine just goes dark--no warning message--and must be rebooted. I've already determined that shutdown codes are not the same as error codes in the Carbon MacErrors.h file.

TIA.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 16, 2014
    Have you looked at the fan control? Could it be a failing fan? Opening the back isn't that big a deal.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 16, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the fan control? Could it be a failing fan? Opening the back isn't that big a deal.
    Well, the fan is as noisy as ever, so at least I know it's spinning. This machine suffered some body damage in a fall several years ago--though it kept on working just fine--but I think there's at least some chance that if I open it, I won't be able to put humpty together again. So I want to be damn sure it's a thermal issue before proceeding. I've installed some temperature monitoring software and though the machine is running hot, it seems to be within manufacturer specs, at least for the CPU cores. Couldn't find reference temps for any of the other components. So far, the machine hasn't crashed since I installed the monitor. If I can confirm that it's a thermal panic, there's a utility that let's you change the fan thresholds that I might try. I'm reluctant to muck with Apple's defaults unless I'm pretty damn sure it's heat related.
    edited May 16, 2014
    If anything, you can turn the fan speed up a bit.
    edited May 16, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    If anything, you can turn the fan speed up a bit.
    Right, and in fact, the utility doesn't let you set the level lower than the Apple default. I'm just trying to be systematic about diagnosing the fault before fixing it. mwink.gif

That machine has always run hot compared to my much more powerful ThinkPads. I'm just not sure how hot is too hot.
  • JasonMorrowPhotoJasonMorrowPhoto Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2015
    ZBlack wrote: »

That is correct with my Sprint:cry
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins

I just found out that "unlimited lifetime support" isn't really true! What a scam :smile:

Hey, Andy Long time no see.

@Andy said:
    I just found out that "unlimited lifetime support" isn't really true! What a scam :smile:

Just like Verizon’s Unlimited data plan.