Any suggestions for royalty free music?

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in Video
I do a lot of animoto slide shows, but I'm disappointed in their current music library. It seems like it used to be better, but now I'm out of choices for good rock music to put with football slide shows.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for music sources? I don't mind paying a few bucks for a good song, but I want to avoid licensed music that may cause me restrictions on youtube, etc.

Thanks...

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2012
    I do a lot of animoto slide shows, but I'm disappointed in their current music library. It seems like it used to be better, but now I'm out of choices for good rock music to put with football slide shows.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for music sources? I don't mind paying a few bucks for a good song, but I want to avoid licensed music that may cause me restrictions on youtube, etc.

Thanks...

Good rock can be hard to find! (emphasis on good)

If you don't mind paying, then I have found Getty has access to lots of Music. They've bought some of the companies I used to do biz with. I have a bunch of their music and the licenses are very liberal. I even used their music in Commercials for public broadcast and called to check with them prior to and had no issues. we're talking about $60 bucks for avg. 15 tracks. Search for "Judge and Jury" when you get to the music link off of Getty. I used it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGZQahZLKo
    Many of these tracks come with 30 sec, 60 sec, full-length and Alternate versions for one money.

For Free Music that requires only a credit, I love Kevin Macleod @ Incompetech. His music is all over the place genre-wise and he is a stellar arranger and composer too. And he is a genuinely fair person to boot. I needed some music I could-not credit him for and he gave me a license for use for $20 per song. Which to me was a fantastic deal!! especially when you hear the songs!
    tom wise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited September 2, 2012
    For top-drawer productions and wanting no needle-drop fees, I purchased a small library of hand-picked CDs from Gene Michael Productions, aka GMP Music, Production Music Library. You can also buy singles from their site:

http://www.gmpmusic.com/

They have a vast selection of reasonably priced buy-out music to choose from, with a very nice search and index system, designed to make selection as easy as possible. I've heard their music at Disney World and on TV.

They have all manner of Rock and Sports themes, including original sounds and sound-alikes.

Not cheap but very reasonable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited September 4, 2012
    Simon Wilkinson's The Blue Mask has many audio CD's that are very reasonably priced and the content can be used for almost any production. Used here in Randy Halverson's Plains Milky Way. Or here.

Zero Project is named as such due to the very low price he charges for his music, which is zero. There's much to like there I think. His statement at the site says you can use his works in videos freely, but with credit.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited September 14, 2012
    Found a new one tonight... Celestial Aeon Project. Download free and use for yourself, or upgrade to licensing the music for commercial productions. The music is in the epic cinema genre.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky