Options

Sunset at Scripps Pier

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in Landscapes
I've been holding off on sharing these 2 images since May because I have a couple others that are worthy of sharing so I wanted to share them all at once. But, with work, my wife and I planning a move, looking for jobs, life in general... that's not going to happen anytime soon! So I figure, better to share these 2 than none at all.

These were taken at Scripps Pier in La Jolla and are single exposures. I was really able to take advantage of the new sliders in LR4 to save a lot of shadows and highlights, making HDR unnecessary.

La-Jolla-Shores-1403-XL.jpg

La-Jolla-Shores-1412-XL.jpg

Comments & critiques always welcome! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    Very nice. I like #2 best.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    I like the second one better, i like it alot. I really like the cool colors dominating the bottom.. on the first, the antennae keep drawing my eye away from the sun. On the second, the pilings drive my eye towards the sun. Plus, I think the sun is slightly more interesting sinking.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    I'm voting for #2 as well. The landscape comp works much better here to show more of the leading lines and repetitive patterns of the pier structure.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    Chris, I see how #2 has more of the classical attribues of a good landscpae photo, but I sure like #1 for the vibrant color in the sky and the big sun, even though the sun is a little blown out. #1 is such a dramatic photo. I like them both! Best, Pam
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    Thanks everyone! I agree that #2 is the better option, but I just love how the sun appears to deform and looks to be melting/flowing into the horizon in #1.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos