Options

Billboard Print Help!!

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I just received a private quote request via Thumbtack.com from a potential customer.

The request is private only to me..... i'll get their contact info after submitting a quote.

The request reads....

"Panoramic photo view of downtown Portland skyline. This will then need to be printed on a large mural, roughly 24 feet by 14 feet. Please advise if this is something that can be done, and at what cost"

WOW :barb:clap:D I have never had any request like this before, have no clue as to who this person is or how they found me or why they specifically requested me... but I want this job.

My problem is... what do I charge for this?!? :scratch What kind of contract do I use...? :deal

I will need the help of some of my local photog buddies to help me stitch a shot together as I don't currently have that capability... I only use LR 3.6... but I know folks that would be able to assist me.

Who has done shots this large and what tips can you give me... what is a good fee to charge for a project this large? :dunno

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

Lee
Lee Wiren

Comments

• Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    I asked the following questions.... 1. will it be viewed at close proximity? 2. what view do they want, river view or high up view? 3. timeframe for completion? & 4. Do they need an embeddable file for website viewing?

This was the fairly immediate response..... "Yes, this will be viewed at close proximity. I haven't been given a timeframe but will estimate by the end of the year. Interested in the skyline from the river view, with an evening/dusk shot. I would need an embeddable file for a website. Can you provide a wallpaper mural or is this something that is done by a graphic design shop? Please advise"

I am not able to do wallpaper murals... think i'll have to let them do that piece via a graphic design shop... so I am thinking of renting a Gigapan unit to do the shot justice and then I can give them an extremely detailed shot of the skyline and the Gigapan software will allow me to provide embeddable links that I can give to the customer...

I am thinking that I want to request about $2000 for this work... anybody out there with ideas, tips or suggestions... please chime in.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    This isn't of any help to you, but this sounds really awesome. I don't make it up to Portland very often, but I'll have to make a stop if it goes up to see it.

Would love to see the shot and more about the gigapan unit if you do rent one. I think doing that with a really detailed image is a good idea, but I have absolutely no experience with anything like this.

Good luck to you and hope it works out awesome!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    This does sound like a very specific assignment, requiring detailed information and planning. I personally would not put forth any real effort until I was in contact with the requester and know who they are.

For all you know this is a kid using his mom's computer or someone on a whim and no real need or budget.

With the information you have provided I could quote $100.00 to Thousands of dollars. I would need more info.

My response would be: "Yes I can do this, but in order to provide a solid realistic quote I need some additional information with regard to the actual photograph, all the intended uses, who will be responsible for the bill board printing, the time line and budget for this project."

I would very much like to peruse this project with you. Please feel free to call me or if you prefer I can call you.

Sam
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    I would very much like to peruse this project with you. Please feel free to call me or if you prefer I can call you.

"Discuss". Not "peruse". Don't try to be so esoteric. ;)
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    This does sound like a very specific assignment, requiring detailed information and planning. I personally would not put forth any real effort until I was in contact with the requester and know who they are.

For all you know this is a kid using his mom's computer or someone on a whim and no real need or budget.

This was the exact thing I was thinking and suggestion I was going to make.

The lead needs to be pre-qualified before you lift a finger. You are excited about this request but don't put time and effort into what turns out to be something from a tyre kicker.
    Been down that road before and looks like Sam has as well.

I'd be asking what their ballpark budget is as well to make sure they aren't serious about the project but totally unrealistic about the budget. Been down that road before as well.

The more you can pre-qualify them the more you can learn to put to your advantage in securing the project at the best possible return for you.

Good luck with it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    orljustin wrote: »
    "Discuss". Not "peruse". Don't try to be so esoteric. ;)

HEY!!

You don't see me calling you names! This is uncalled for! This is slander! I'm calling a lawyer! :D

Sam