Options

sometimes the shot is just not worth it (Grizzly news)

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in The Big Picture
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/images-show-grizzly-bear-just-before-it-killed-photographer.html

Photographer dies, apparently to get the shot.

The story hasn't changed much over the last couple of days, except to emphasize that they were fairly confident they had the right bear before killing it.

I remember a couple of grizzly shots people posted here that made me go 'whoa'.

Any time I've ever run into a grizzlies, taking a photo was honestly one of the last things on my mind.
Of course, once I'd cleared out to a safe distance, I always thought, 'damn that would have been a good shot', but I wasn't going back.
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 29, 2012
    It's one thing to shoot with a long lens from some distance. This guy was just stupid and it's sad he paid for it with his life.

Also sad that the bear paid for his stupidity with it's life.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Not a Grizzly shot, but it makes me think of another sad story getting the shot.

The very first issue that I purchased of American Photo was this issue:

020100_AmericanPhoto.jpg

I still have the issue. It featured photos recovered from the camera of Bill Biggart, who sadly died at ground zero, Sept. 11, 2001. You can read more about the story here.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2012
    Reminds me of this "trash the dress" photo session gone wrong: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/26/drowned-bride-couldnt-hang-on-any-longer
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    I feel compassion for the photographer's family but not for the idiot himself. More, I feel sorry for the bear, who was just being a bear.

I used to hike the Appalachian Trail in NJ, and there's a hut above the Delaware Water Gap that's next to a spring and is a popular campsite. A regrettably lot of hikers actually try to lure bears with food because the people are thrilled to see black bears- sometimes with cubs - come close. The bears learn to associate humans with food and some get very aggressive and get killed for learning what humans teach them.