Options

South African Safari - Sabi Sand

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 17, 2012 in Journeys
I and Marc Muench had the good fortune to be asked by Andy Biggs to help him lead a photo safari in South Africa's Singita Sabi Sand Game Reserve.

Male leopard, Canon 5D3 and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, ISO 6400 @ f/2.8
RP8738-L.jpg

I shot this Safari with two cameras and two lenses: A Nikon D800 with 200-400 f/4 VR II and a Canon 5D Mark III with 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. Fly to Johannesburg and then next day a bush plane out to Singita Airstrip, we're met by the wonderful staff and guides from Singita's Castleton Camp, and after a quick bite to eat :food we were on our first game drive of the trip. Our first game drive featured some mating leopards :huh Too bad we didn't come upon them until about 20 minutes past sunset, but it was thrilling nonetheless! We rode in open Land Rovers, one photographer per row of seats - we shoot from monopods mounted to the roll bar in front of you, and then a gimbal head on top of the monopod - a setup that was new to me but worked out great! I'll post some pics of that stuff a bit later.

Harry Behret, Linda Behret and Gary were with me on the first drive
IMG0337-L.jpg

Soooo, I mentioned the mating leopards :D By the time we found them it was dark, literally 20+ minutes after sunset. No problem, jack the ISO on the 5D3 up to 6400 and have a ball. Not ideal, but it's pretty cool to be able to shoot at 6400 ISO. We watched this scene for quite a long time - they performed the mating ritual 8 times in an hour. :yikes Here, the female leopard is presenting herself to the male leopard. "Why don't we do it in the road?"
RP8611-L.jpg

The male then does his thing. The sounds he makes are the deepest, throatiest, scariest animal sounds you can ever imagine. Exciting!
RP8619-L.jpg

After the act, the male continues to show dominance by biting the female on the neck and head:
RP8628-L.jpg

At this point, the female decides to show the male who is boss:
RP8629-L.jpg

An exciting first day! I will post more photos here in this thread, Journeys-style. Keep coming back for updates, I have several thousand images to sort through and process, so it'll take me some time :D

Comments

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    Love the last one, lol
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    Great shots Andy. I empathize with the male leopard.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    Excellent pictures Andy, especially #2.

It was a great trip and real pleasure to shoot with Mark, Andy and yourself. We had a great group of folks on the trip and it was a thrill to be back in Africa.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    Awesome set Andy. Can't wait for more...:lurk
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    Fantastic. bowdown.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Excellent pictures Andy, especially #2.

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

It was great to be with you also, Harry, and to be shooting NIKON!
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    Andy wrote: »

It was great to be with you also, Harry, and to be shooting NIKON!

I was glad to see you finally shooting with some pro level gear. :D
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Safari
    Hey it's Jefy, remember me? I was just out there myself June 6-14 and had an amazing time at Londolozi & Sabi Sabi - wonder if we were there at the same time. I won't hijack your thread but will post some images separately when I get a chance as well. Funny thing is I think I may have seen you guys- saw a Singita land rover with several photographers alongside ours during a cheetah spotting....maybe it was you! The trip has gotten me to add/switch from canon to Nikon as well....really love that 200-400 lens. sorry I've been absent for so long, still occasionally lurk. I think I've come a long way and I really owe it to this board and the advice, input and inspiration I've received. Welcome back and I hope you had as great a time as I did.....Masai Mara migration calling to me next.
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    Hey Jefy! Long time no see :) Yeah, that was probably us! Hah, small world :) I can't wait to go back again to Kenya next February.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Excellent shots of the leopards! Congrats. Back in Decenber of 2009 my wife and I were next door to Sabi Sands at Lion Sands. Although we got to see many critters, most seemed to be lazily laying about daydreaming. Anyway, the driver we had, Kurt Bertels, was a photog himself and writes a blog that you all might enjoy. So here is the address:

http://kurtjaybertels.wordpress.com/

And again congrats on your journey, what an amazing place.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    OK after a Sundowner, we headed back to our lodge an settled in for an amazing dinner cooked by our chef - it was just 12 of us as the very private Singita Castleton Camp. Food? Amazing. More on that later! Next day, up at 0545, quick cup of coffee at 6am then back out to track the animals and get the sweet early morning light.

RP9248-L.jpg

Here's Rennick, one of our amazing trackers, on the hunt for predators
    20120625-twc5dfpd7qe23g4dhgpbw9k6mg.jpg

First up on the menu today was a beautiful male lion and his 4 lionesses. Here's the big fellow drinking and relaxing
    MRP0197-L.jpg

RP8966-L.jpg

It's not all about the Big 5 or predators. We saw and photographed over a hundred different species during the eight days in Sabi Sand. Here's a dwarf mongoose, posing in an unused termite mound that he now uses and calls home:

MRP0285-L.jpg

Rennick was successful in later finding a beautiful male cheetah for us, which we spent the rest of the day with.

Waking up:
    MRP0357-L.jpg

Checking his nails:
    MRP0371-L.jpg

Getting ready to move:
    MRP0435-L.jpg

On the move, he finds a tree to climb, so as to get a better vantage point:
    RP9091-L.jpg

RP9144-L.jpg

We met up with this Cheetah several times during our trip, much more about him to follow in my next updates!
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2012
    At Singita, anything goes:
    i-TzvT892-XL.jpg

And we saw this fella, a 12-15-foot Python, join us for lunch at our camp. He was curious, but not threatening.

RP9552-L.jpg

Speaking of food :eat they did feed us well :D Here's Marc with a typical breakfast:
    i-HmrjGqh-XL.jpg

And then on to another of the 16 game drives we had. We met up with our friend Cheetah again, this time on top of a termite mound - they'll climb these, and trees, to get a better looksee as to potential meals:

MRP0592-L.jpg

And he marks his spot, to let others know that this place is "his"!
    MRP0584-L.jpg

A bit later we happened on a Momma and baby Rhino, with passengers:
    MRP0830-L.jpg

A little fun with the Wildebeest and the day was nearly done:
    RP9401-L.jpg

RP9507-L.jpg

I blogged before the trip that I'd be taking two camera systems, Nikon D800 with the 200-400 VR and the Canon 5DIII with 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II - searching my LR library, it seems I shot 75% of my photos with the Nikon :yikes

More to come!
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2012
    Great pictures Andy. I was surprised to find that I shot most of my captures with a Nikon too. :D

Seriously though, I was surprised that I ended up using the D800E for most of my captures when I had intended for the D4 to be my main body.
    Harry
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    WOW, incredible photos Andy!! I am really enjoying them!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2012
    ront wrote: »
    WOW, incredible photos Andy!! I am really enjoying them!

Ron

Thanks Ron! Here are some more, and don't forget, we do have a couple spots left in our February 2013 trip to Kenya.

MRP0681-XL.jpg

MRP1452-Edit-XL.jpg

MRP3388-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2012
    It was a great trip Andy and I can't until our next trip to Africa in February. Three outstanding pics.
    Harry
  • Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    That first leopard looks too serious, you need to get your subjects to smile more ;)
    but seriously great pics the bw really works nicely.