Options

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 EX HSM and an updated 120-300 f/2.8 OS comming

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited September 25, 2012 in Cameras
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it here.

Sigma announced a new 35mm f/1.4 EX and
an updated version of the 120-300mm f/2.8 EX OS.

More info

If the 35 is anything like the 85 it could be a winner. :thumb
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Options
    chrisliehmannchrisliehmann Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2012
    can't wait for reviews on this. Picked up a 35L last year and love it - interested to see the Sigma price point as well
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    OMG HECK YESSS!!

I've been a huge fan of Sigma's venture into the full-frame fast prime world. I'm dying to see how this 35 1.4 EX performs...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    OMG HECK YESSS!!

I've been a huge fan of Sigma's venture into the full-frame fast prime world. I'm dying to see how this 35 1.4 EX performs...

=Matt=

Same here.

I just hope Sigma is more rational with their prices this time.
  • Options
    insanefred wrote: »
    Same here.

I just hope Sigma is more rational with their prices this time.

I'm guessing 1200 MRSP and 800-900 street price ... or at least I hope it's not higher ^^

(power to the *fred :D )
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Wonder what they've got in mind for the 120-300. Their website photo of it looks different from the existing version (which is a nice lens) but it's clear they kept the "backward" zoom rotation (compared to Nikon.) What's the update all about? Better OS? Better focus function? User updatable firmware? Could be a hell of a sports lens. I just hope they don't raise the price. The current model goes for $3200.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    Icebear wrote: »
    Wonder what they've got in mind for the 120-300. Their website photo of it looks different from the existing version (which is a nice lens) but it's clear they kept the "backward" zoom rotation (compared to Nikon.) What's the update all about? Better OS? Better focus function? User updatable firmware? Could be a hell of a sports lens. I just hope they don't raise the price. The current model goes for $3200.

Yes, one new thing about the lens is upgradable firmware. It is upgradable usiing a newly announced USB module so that the lens can be connected to a computer. There is also new software to use with the module to adjust the lens like you would with a microadjustment feature of a camera. There is also a different finish on th lens and a different tripod ring.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2012
    The Weather sealing that was present in the non-OS version but absent in the 1st OS version is back in this version.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    The USB feature and weather sealing sound worthwhile, but I wish they'd left the foot alone. I find the "molded" foot on my 500 quite comfortable when carrying the monster with a camera mounted.
    John :
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    I want to see the improvements to the 120-300 to see if it reaches the focusing speed of the canon 300/2.8. If so, not going to be a difficult choice for Football or Soccer next year.. 120-300/2.8 @ $3200 vs 300/2.8II @ $7500.. Hmmm. No brainier if it works better.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    I read the somewhere the new 120-300 is $4600, if so... :(
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2012
    But that's only the MRSP, naturally the street price will go down and be quite a bit lower after a couple of months.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 24, 2012
    I just wish the 120-300 was a lot lighter too.

My wife's is sharp, but the focusing speed is rather slow.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    I read the somewhere the new 120-300 is $4600, if so... :(

Sigma always over-estimates their MSRP by a huge margin. With a suggested price of $4600, you might expect a $3-4K price tag. Or, just a couple/few hundred $$ more than the next older version I'd bet...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Heck, I'll just buy a D400 for less money. Save $$ and have an effective 105-300mm f/2.8 with my Nikkor 70-200. :ivar
    John :
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    Keep in mind, not only does Sigma's MSRP bear little resemblance to reality, but they also announce products months, or even YEARS before they actually ship.