Options

Anyone using both: Nikon 24-70 f2.8 & 24-120 f4?????

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited September 23, 2012 in Accessories
Both these lenses run about the same money and yes I know the 24-70 is a proven lens....

Just wondering how much difference there is in quality of the 2 lenses on Full frame cameras??

Anyone shot both on at least the D700? Or D800 would be even better.

My low light concert usage is normally at f4 with my 70-200f2.8 and F4 on the 18-70, until I pass the point of no return then it is 5.6 and that screws up my shooting style.....Gawd i hate variable aperture lenses....

I would like to hear opinions from actual users.

Thanx in Advance.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,884 moderator
    edited September 14, 2012
    PhotoZone tested those lenses on a D3x:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/456-nikkor_afs_2470_28_ff

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/574-nikkorafs24120f4vrff

For a low-light application I will always recommend a larger aperture lens. Even though you may need to shoot at f4, the f2.8 aperture still allows faster and more accurate AF acquisition.

You could always rent the lenses to see which works best for your needs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2012
    thanks for the links Ziggy and yeah I normally would also go straight to the F2.8 lens ... .... ...
    really looking for people who have actually used both together then decided to go with just one and why....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2012
    I have tried both. I like the extra reach on 24-120mm but I found a lot of distortion with it on D700, which can be corrected with LR, but for that amount of money I expected better.

A 24-120mm range with VR, f/2.8 and less distortion would be the ideal lens for me. I keep looking for something like that but have not found it yet.

If anybody knows of one by any lens maker, I would love to hear about it.

I think most will tell you that the 24-70mm is an excellent lens - very sharp and that is my experience when I rented one, but it does not have VR. I am shopping for a good used one now.

I understand that with D800 you can correct distortion using a recent update to that camera, not with D700. I have to check to confirm that though.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2012
    Been looking at images done with he D700 and even the D800 and they look really good....dedicated thread wit hover120 pages at Nikon Cafe....I really need to compliment my 70-200f2.8 vr1....abd that extra reach for concerts and other event shooting is what is needed...but I might pull the plug on the 24-70 as it is the only one I am really finding in stock at most place aside from ebay....

the fulls sized images off Nikon /cafe look damn good tho.......

• Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    I can test a few and send em your way/upload it
    I hardly use the 24-120 f4 even with lowlight capabilities of d700/800.
    f4 is just not big enough aperture, for me.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2012
    Well my 24-120 has arrived and now I need to hit the clubs for low light shooting.....but for what I have done
    it seems to be a good lens......thanks for the info everyone.