Options

lens hood

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited October 17, 2005 in Cameras
i want to buy a lens hood for my canon EF 28-105mm f3.5
anyone know where i could discern the correct lens hood model to buy? I don't have the manual that came with the lens it was a second hand purchase.
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited October 17, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    i want to buy a lens hood for my canon EF 28-105mm f3.5
    anyone know where i could discern the correct lens hood model to buy? I don't have the manual that came with the lens it was a second hand purchase.
    According to a Canon PDF I downloaded a while back, the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM lens uses the EW-63II lens hood
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    According to a Canon PDF I downloaded a while back, the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM lens uses the EW-63II lens hood
    Hmm. Thanks friend.

Yeah, that lens flares like a bitch at night.
    I'm too poor to buy an L lens.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    Hmm. Thanks friend.

Yeah, that lens flares like a bitch at night.
    I'm too poor to buy an L lens.
    Make sure you don't use open apertures when there's bright lights about at night. Also, don't use filters at night.

More info on your lens accessories here:
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=7442

then Product Information > Accessories.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2005
    Make sure...
    ...you order correctly. I just learned there are (were - all now discontinued) three versions of the 28-105 f/3.5 lens. They are:

28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM, flower icon.
    This is the first version of this popular lens, released in the early 1990s. It’s a midrange consumer zoom with decent optics and a fast and silent ring USM motor with FTM. The mark I version with a flower icon on its lens barrel apparently had a 5-blade aperture diaphragm. Marked with a striped gold line since it’s a USM lens, and has a metal lens mount. Discontinued.

28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM, “MACRO” icon.
    This is the second version of the lens, though it was never officially identified as such - it’s still considered to be a mark I. It’s identical to the first version but it has the word MACRO printed on the lens barrel in lieu of the flower (closeup) icon. Internally, however, it has a 7-blade aperture diaphragm, which in theory offers slightly better bokeh, or out-of-focus blurring. Marked with a striped gold line since it’s a USM lens, and has a metal lens mount. Discontinued.

28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM II.
    This is the official second version of the lens, as indicated by the II symbol. According to Canon the original 28-105 and the mark II versions have identical optics, but the mark II version has slightly different external styling, including an allegedly slightly tougher design. According to Canon Malaysia an internal component used in the zoom mechanism has been updated to metal from plastic. Marked with a striped gold line since it’s a USM lens, and has a metal lens mount. Discontinued.

They might use different lens hoods.
    My Smugmug