Options

Mini-review: Capture camera clip

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 30, 2012 in Accessories
Over the time I have tried various camera support systems: straps, harnesses, etc., only to find one or more reasons not to like them.
At some point ago I have acquired two copies of Peak Design's Capture camera clips
http://peakdesignltd.com/capture/
and was finally able to use them during my last half-a-day Mojave shoot.
So I thought I'd share some first impressions.

Clip worked as designed. You attach the clip to your belt, the snap-in part to the bottom of your camera (or lens collar) and slide the camera in. It's very easy to do, even without looking, and it locks with the reassuring click.

The connection plate is very slim and thus can be left on camera at all times. Comparing to the amount of time you have to spend to struggle-in the camera strap loops, the attachment process is as easy as it gets: all you need is a coin (or a flat-head part of your tool) to tighten the flat head screw. I already carry a little set of allen wrenches in my backpack, adding a quarter to this collection didn't cost me much (and now, I always have a quarter!:-)

The connection plate is Arca-Swiss compatible, which is awesome. I often debate with myself if I should attach the L plate (which is cumbersome) if I know that I'm not gonna use it in 99% of cases. Now I don't have to worry. Whenever I need to use the tripod, the camera is ready for it.

And FWIW, if you do feel a need to attach a strap. the plate has four big "eyes", making the task of connecting a strap to those a breeze.

The fact that connection plate is a square that allows you to slide the camera in four ways makes it very versatile, and also facilitates the lens change, as it holds the camera securely so you can operat with poth hands instead of one.

The only part I didn't like is how the base plate feels on my belt when I was driving. Basically it either tends to "bite" into my body if I place it in front, or scratch the car seat if I shove it farther to the side or to my back. This probably should not be a big obstacle, as my typical shoot does not require changing locations often, and my last shoot (and the first one to try the clips), when we changed 3 locations in a quick sequence was rather an exception. At any rate, I should get into habit of attaching the belt clip to my belt only after I get out of the car. The clips are small and light, and keeping them in a backpack should present no issue at all (compared, say, to the size of a nice padded neck strap or a Black Rapid harness). Attaching the belt to the clip takes no more than 30 seconds, probably less once I get used to it.
Naturally, if your intention is to attach the clip to your backpack this becomes a non issue at all.

All in all, thus far I like it. I hope to post more about it once I use it more. I have several shoots coming this fall, including a two day public event, Moorpark Civil War Reenactment, which is typically very tasking on any camera gear (long duration, dust, etc.)

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    Thanks for the write up Nik!

Question:
    Did you use it with a 70-200 lens? If so, did you attach the plate to the lens tripod foot. How was the balance?
    Randy
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Did you find the release cumbersome? I only played with one briefly, but it seemed like a two-hand job to press the release button and slide the plate out (or I couldn't figure out the quick-draw release).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    rwells wrote: »
    Thanks for the write up Nik!

Question:
    Did you use it with a 70-200 lens? If so, did you attach the plate to the lens tripod foot. How was the balance?

Randy,
    you're welcome!

Yes, I tried it with 70-200, too (very briefly though). However, I attached the plate to the camera body, not to the collar (on which I kept a regular plate), so ther was no balance issue.
  • Options
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Did you find the release cumbersome? I only played with one briefly, but it seemed like a two-hand job to press the release button and slide the plate out (or I couldn't figure out the quick-draw release).

No, I didn't. For me it's a one-hand operation, left or right side, rather natural and convenient one.
    That said, I have fairly long "musical" fingers, so I can see that it might be an issue for a person with small hands, esp. female.
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    I picked one of these up a few months ago as well. I love it so far, but it stays on me backpack instead of my belt. I shoot mainly landscapes so I'm hiking a fair bit, and if the camera is not in the Capture clip, its on my tripod over my shoulder using the same plate!

The clip holds very securely and I do like that they included the additional safety screw which I use if I'm biking with the camera out. I have yet to feel that it will come loose or is insecure. When attached on my backpack strap, I do use 2 hands to remove the camera, but it is doable with 1 hand. I can imagine having it on a belt as you have used would be much easier for one handed release.

One note to keep in mind, the plates they sell on their website are a new style. The new one includes the camera strap attachment loops as well, but the best part for me so far is the screw now has the half circle ring to tighten or attach a strap to that uses a clip to attach on the base. The disadvantage is I don't think you can enter the plate into the clip or arca head in any direction. It has 2 ways to enter.

Glad to hear someone else has one and is using it! Great review so far and I'd be curious to hear more the more you use it.
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    That might be the best system I have seen yet. Very versatile to be able to attach the base to any belt or strap..mmm
    Gary
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    I like how it's versatile and would mount well on a backpack strap while hiking and stuff.

However, for my work (wedding photojournalism) I have come to prefer the Spider Holster. It's much easier to use, and in my opinion more comfortable.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Only fits RRS screw knob quick release clamp.
    Looks cool though...

Thanks Nik

Fred
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 29, 2012
    USAIR wrote: »
    Only fits RRS screw knob quick release clamp.
    Any idea why it wouldn't work with RRS quick release clamps?
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Any idea why it wouldn't work with RRS quick release clamps?

No I have no idea why it wouldn't fit...I have the Quick Release.
    Info taken from here follow the RRS link.

Fred