Options

Just got a second lens.

roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited September 30, 2012 in Accessories
A used tamron 28-200 to supplement my kit 18-55. According to the reviews it will rape all my neighbors, borrow money from family members, and eventually lead to the moral decay of the nation.

Seems to take pretty good pics to me. :dunno

Some test shots from the parking lot at work during lunch.

75 yards

MG0827-L.jpg

150 yards

MG0833-L.jpg

quarter mile

MG0815-L.jpg

I realize that it aint fast, and it's made of plastic, and it's kinda noisy.... but good grief. The reviews make it sound like the worst thing you could possibly get a camera near.

Since I'm a complete newbie, could anyone tell me if this is par for the course for lens reviews?

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    The 28-200 was the very first lens I got for my Canon 10D. Your copy looks much much better than
    mine. I remember that everything above 100mm went soft regardless of aperture. I sold the lens a
    couple of weeks later and upgraded to the Tamron 28-75 and have never looked back since.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2012
    Maybe that big dent in the corner of the box mine came in knocked some sense into it.

I realize this isn't one of the big white lenses with a red ring. But what really confuses and worries at me, is that the reviews were pretty unforgiving. That brings up some questions.

Did i just happen to get " a good one"?
    Should i mentally flavor the reviews with a touch of optimism because they arent aimed at beginners like me?
    Are the lens reviews accurate and am i going to re-enact the melting scene from raides of the lost ark if I ever get one because they're that good?

Oh, and i had a typo in there, mine is the 28-300 instead of 200.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2012
    Well 28-300 is much better than the 28-200 ... the Tamron 28-300 VC is even better than the non-VC version you got.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston