Mini-challenge #151 Environmental Portrait - RESULTS

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited October 5, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Apologies for not including any images in this post. I'm travelling and using my iPad and haven't figured out a simple way to repost images from another thread, so rather than delay the results and giving myself a headache, it's text only I'm afraid.

Thank you to all who took the time to enter. There was a wide selection of images to choose from and, in some cases, an interesting interpretation of what constitutes an environmental portrait.

From my definition of what constitutes an environmental portrait, I expected to*see people (individuals or groups) as the main subject in the images and, even though some of the images that didn't satisfy this criteria were excellent, I have restricted my selections accordingly. There is however a lesson for me here in that one needs to be even more specific in defining what does and doesn't fit the category.

My selections are purely that, and reflect my feelings and thoughts on reviewing the images

Honourable mentions are as follows:
Old Fashioned Tailor
Did you hear the one about the travelling salesman?
So, going to Rachel's party tonight?

On to the placings:

Third Place
Ouch My Head Hurts - Alan's Grin
Great composition and a reminder of how hard life can be in some parts of the world

Second Place
Open Wide - WhatSheSaw
A great perspective and one that we're all familiar with! I've had more trips to the dentist than I care to remember and this brought all those memories flooding back!

Winner
Fixing A Leak - Alan's Grin
I still have a question in the back of my mind as to whether this was some kind of art installation and therefore not really a portrait, however I'm prepared to give it the benefit of doubt. *As such it's a great capture and it has all the elements I was looking for in an environmental portrait.

So congratulations to Alan who placed first and third in a challenge in which he claims not to be very good. False modesty I think!
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Wow, unexpected and I am honoured! Thanks.

The chap halfway down the man hole is really a genuine shot and he didn’t know I was taking it. I just wish I’d had a slightly better angle, but it was a quick grab shot of a moment. Anyway, thanks for the benefit of the doubt.

Yikes … what to set next? I’ll have a think and set a new challenge shortly – certainly by end of day today (UK).

Alan.

PS - I've set a new challenge "Illustrated Motion" here http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=227415
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Congrats, Alan! Well done. clap.gif

Thanks for the Honorable Mention, Syncopation!
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Great shot, Alan! The boys were also very good.

Woohoo! Thanks, Syncopation! This is the best I have paced in a mini. My dentist was a really good sport when I asked him for a shot for a spooky, fall challenge.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Great shot, Alan! The boys were also very good.

Woohoo! Thanks, Syncopation! This is the best I have paced in a mini. My dentist was a really good sport when I asked him for a shot for a spooky, fall challenge.

As much as I hate the view (and who doesn't!) it's a great shot and I love images that invoke emotions - even if not totally positive ones!
    Well done.

Alan.