Options

Announcing SmugFolio on Android

snapwoodsnapwood Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
My android app, SmugFolio, went live on the market this past week. This has been tested on the Droid and should support phones back to Android 1.5. I say should because testing all of those devices is a bit of a challenge :D

I would like to give the full version for free to the first person that can verify the trial version of the app on each phone model. Just send me an email to snapwood@snapwoodapps.com with your phone model and findings/problems. I'll work with you if you have any problems to get those problems corrected.

Here are some basic features...

• The app will automatically download your galleries while you charge your phone at night, so you can have quick access when you're offline. The viewer should be pretty fast and has been tested with albums containing up to 4000 images. However, the trial version limits both of these - sorry.
  • There is support for viewing videos, slideshows, EXIF data, and comments. It has a basic uploader that will let you take pictures and upload them to a gallery. If you prefer, you can use any gallery app and upload from there by sending the photo to SmugFolio.
  • There is also basic support for creating and deleting galleries. I plan on expanding this area (among many others) in the future.
  • A built in rating system lets you star your photos and then filter your galleries based on their ratings. The gallery and slideshows will honor the rating filter.

I appreciate any feedback and will work with you through any problems.

Thanks!

Brian

Comments

• Options
    edited September 18, 2010
    So far the HTC Incredible and Motorola Droid (original) are accounted for... I'd appreciate any feedback from other models, especially those between Android 1.5 and 2.0.

Thanks!

Brian
  • Options
    ChrisqChrisq Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2010
    So far the HTC TMobile myTouch Slide is all good....running 2.1 (not froyo yet...Tmo hasnt released OTA yet...bummer~)
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2010
    Thanks Chris... I've received enough phone feedback at this point to be fairly confident it works for everyone.

I'd like to get feedback now on where people would like to see the features go from here. I should be able to get a 2.1 update out by next weekend, which right now includes the following:

1. Control over which categories or galleries should be automatically downloaded while the phone charges
    2. Setting to show captions during slideshows
    3. Setting to control whether you start with the category view or the gallery view. The toggle in in the menu, but not everyone has seen it there.
    4. Double tap to zoom

I'd like to focus on what is the most useful to everyone from here. I could dive into keywords (filtering them, smart galleries, applying on upload), management of galleries after creation, etc...

What is everyone itching for?

Thanks!

Brian
  • Options
    hanerhaner Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    Just emailed you. I just installed the trial on the Evo and it appears that I can't see all my galleries. I know the trial says it's limited to only 40 pictures but didn't know there was a gallery limitation as well. Perhaps this can be clarified?

Also, I'd like to see automatic download of thumbnails. Right now, I have to open up each gallery before the thumbnail gets generated.

BTW, how much space does this use up? If the phone is downloading a cache for thousands of images, isn't it going to eat up the internal memory/sd card?
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2010
    The full version will auto download the thumbnails when it auto downloads the images. With the trial you'll need to download the thumbnails and images manually before they'll be cached on the phone.

Thumbnails use about 5KB apiece, while images will average around 120KB. At that rate, 1 GB should be able to store the thumbnails and images for over 8000 photos. I think the Evo has an 8GB card, so it could store over 60,000 photos. SmugFolio will detect when it starts to run low on space and auto delete photos from galleries that haven't been used recently.

As for not seeing all your galleries, that is a new one. Are they unlisted? There is an option in the settings to show/hide those. Otherwise, could you email me any details about the galleries (public url?, any settings that would make these unlike others?) and I can dig into the problem.

Thanks for the feedback!

Brian
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2010
    I've published v2.1 to the android market...

This version fixes a bug where the auto download could have failed for users with more than 8000 photos. It should now scale as far as your SD card as room. In addition, the following new features were added -

1. Control what galleries and/or categories auto download in the settings
    2. Setting to control whether the categories or galleries listing displays upon entering the app
    3. Setting to display captions in slideshows
    4. Double tap to zoom
    Brian
  • Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    I'm in. Downloading now.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    I've published v2.2 to the android market... This version:

• Has a setting to turn off auto rotation, so photos will display full screen regardless of the phone orientation
    • Removed the margins that existed in vertical orientation. Vertical shots will look very nice now.
    • Will shows download statistics in the settings once you've completed a successful auto download w/ this version
    • Download statistics panel now has button to delete all thumbnails and photos that have been downloaded

Brian
  • Options
    hoobhoob Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    snapwood wrote: »
    I would like to give the full version for free to the first person that can verify the trial version of the app on each phone model. Just send me an email to snapwood@snapwoodapps.com with your phone model and findings/problems. I'll work with you if you have any problems to get those problems corrected.

Thanks... Purchased and running fine on the Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant: Bell Mobility Canada version)
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, but sorry, I received a verification of the Samsung Galaxy S a couple weeks ago. I now have all phones covered, so the free giveaway is closed. I still appreciate knowing about any feature requests or problems found!

Btw, I just published v2.2.1 which loads thumbnails much faster and corrects some login validation errors.

Brian
  • Options
    hoobhoob Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, but sorry, I received a verification of the Samsung Galaxy S a couple weeks ago.

Btw, I just published v2.2.1 which loads thumbnails much faster and corrects some login validation errors.

Brian

But mine is the special Bell version that's not like any of them in the US. It's missing a button! rolleyes1.gif Just kidding; already purchased it, happy to support the cause. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    I've released 2.3 tonight. Since I last posted, the following features have been added:

1. Subcategory support
    2. Galleries can be sorted by either alpha sort or last modified date
    3. Ability to edit what albums/categories are auto downloaded at night
    4. Download stats page to see what has been downloaded (and clear them)
    5. Keyword filter albums, galleries and subsequent slideshows
    6. Option to turn off the 'flick to scroll' for a single scroll on a swipe
    7. Support for tablets
    8. Many minor bug fixes
    Next up is a batch uploads. Thanks for all the feedback I've received.

Brian
  • Options
    brickbrick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Additional 'honor hidden' option request
    I'd like to request an additional option to hide photos, the same way I can in my SmugMug galleries. The majority of my galleries are unlisted, because I archive all of my photos and don't want folks to be able to have access to those galleries unless I send a link to them. Additionally, I'll have the occasional nude portrait in a gallery, and I'll specifically use the "hide photo" option for those individual photos, especially when I want the rest of the gallery to be viewable, whether unlisted or not.

Smugfolio currently offers the option to "honor hidden", which applies to both unlisted galleries and hidden photos. I would like a different option for both unlisted galleries and hidden photos, rather than having them combined. That would allow me to open up the app on my Moto X and show whichever galleries I like, but it would also prevent my scrolling over inappropriate pics.

The best example I can offer is that I have a ton of family shots, and I like the share them with my in-laws when I visit. But sometimes I won't open a gallery because I've remembered that my wife is nude in one picture, and I can't scroll through the gallery without accidentally displaying that photo.

I know, I know, victorian sensibilities. Anyway, possible to have an additional option under "honor hidden"?

Thanks for the great app!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback and I see your point. I'll look into splitting the options.

Brian
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    I have split the options into settings for "Unlisted Galleries" and "Hidden Photos". The "Hidden Photos" setting will default to whatever you had "Unlisted Galleries" set to.

This is in v2.3.3 on the android market.

For those curious, v2.3.2 added "zoom original" and pinch to zoom for phones running Android 2.2. It also added a setting to show photo captions all the time (not just in the slideshow).

Brian
  • Options
    brickbrick Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    I have split the options into settings for "Unlisted Galleries" and "Hidden Photos". The "Hidden Photos" setting will default to whatever you had "Unlisted Galleries" set to.

This is in v2.3.3 on the android market.

For those curious, v2.3.2 added "zoom original" and pinch to zoom for phones running Android 2.2. It also added a setting to show photo captions all the time (not just in the slideshow).

Brian

Brian,

For the record, wow. I mean really, wow. In less than three hours your replied twice, re-coded the app, and made it available for download. I am absolutely stunned at the ease and responsiveness of that interaction.

My sincere thanks Brian. You are truly impressive.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    I am running smugfolio on a Samsung Exhibittion phone, replacing my iphone and smugwallet app. I love the app and for photos, it's great. But.....
    I can't seem to download any videos from my Smugmug site.
    Is this possible with smugfolio? Videos worked fine with smugwallet, but smugfolio says 'this video cannot be played right now' whereever a video should be.