Mini-challenge #152: Illustrated Motion

Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited October 16, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini-challenge #152: Illustrated Motion

Thank you Syncopation for hosting the previous challenge "Environmental Portrait" http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=226966

Perhaps slightly narrower in scope than many Mini’s, I am looking for photos which illustrate something (or the camera itself) in motion and the image must show motion to some degree through, for example, motion blur on the object or background if panned, or overlaid multiple exposures / strobe, long exposure, second curtain flash or other creative techniques.

A really fast shutter speed totally freezing an objects motion and background is not what I’m looking for. A degree of abstract is allowed – especially on the more interesting fun “accidental” shots! Motion artificially “created” in Photoshop is also allowed but it would have to be very good as I am biased toward camera technique. Motion created in Photoshop should be declared and it would be nice to see a one line description of “how” on any of the more technical shots.

Due to its possibly narrower scope and potentially fewer entries, the contest will be a relatively quick turnaround closing at Midnight Monday October 15th UK time.

Here are couple of examples of mine showing different styles (notably missing a panning shot, but only being lazy):

Let me off! - Dustbin used as a tripod - 0.5s @ f/16.
IMG0025-L.jpg

Railway Station - Camera in motion 2s @ f/29
IMG6241-L.jpg

Liquid Motion - Using the flash in strobe mode 10Hz, 1/128th power 0.5 sec exposure.
IMG0258-L.jpg

Couldn't resist one more ...
Black Lab - 1/500th @ f/5.6 - got wet!
IMG1049-2-L.jpg

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!*
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.*
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.*
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Fun challenge!

#1 - Cat Fight (long exposure)
    P1280069AdjustCrop1-L.jpg

#2 Black-eyed Susans (camera motion)
    P1450415Adjust-L.jpg

#3 Enthusiasm
    P1340622Adjust-L.jpg
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    Freewheelin'
    DSCF2816-L.jpg

Hold On
    CA10061207471879-L.jpg
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    hummmmm
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2012
    1) Welder

211668882_qidZ4-X2.jpg

2) Water

IMG9296-stella-drinking-X2.jpg

3) Fire

img4029-1200-X2.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    This is going to be hard because I discard most pictures that are blurred because of motion - I have in the past regarded them as just out of focus. There is one that I took some years ago where I swung the camera to follow a horse that was running in front of me. It wasn't what I intended to do but the rider is in focus and everything else is blurred which I think is what you want. But I don't know if I can find it now and it isn't digitized yet.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • ALXCARALXCAR Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    getting dizzy
    DSC_0534.jpg
    Just a zoom in joby caching the moment...
    Nikon D80 28-135mm
    No filters and no Photoshop.
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
    edited October 6, 2012
    Sipiiiining!
    DSC_1026.jpg
    Anoter zoom in joby caching the moment...
    Nikon D80 28-135mm
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
    edited October 6, 2012
    Snail slow motion
    SNAIL SLOW MOTION by Billy.jpg
    This pic was done on a 3 seconds long exposure shot with two sources of light. One, continuous light from the back, and the other one, 1/50 of a second flash for the front.
    At the same time panning with the camera to the Left to create the illusion of movement.

"A long exposure with two light sources (flash and continuous) and panning techniques."
    or some thing like that. ;)
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Definitely still learning the ropes around here (i.e. how to add a pic, etc.), but thought I'd toss my hat into this mini-challenge ring. Goodness, but it made me dig deeep into my f.i.l.m. archives:

1) Experiment in Dangling String and Filters
    100712illustrated-motion-L.jpg

2) Slo-Mo Zipper

3) Silver Threads

Hope I did this right. C&C's most welcome!

Thanks Alan, for a most interesting theme. Your sample images are great - especially the "Liquid Motion"! ;)
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    1. when the cows come home
    IMG2440-L.jpg

2. autobahn at night
    stuttgart-vaihingen-L.jpg

3. blue bridge at night with train and car
    IMG1301-L.jpg
    edited October 7, 2012
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Fun challenge!

#2 Black-eyed Susans (camera motion)

(dang! As instructed, I've now tried to reduce that image down to 200x200 every-which-way-from-Sunday, but I'll be darned if I can get it to work) :help

In any case, just want to say...

Love it WSS! How'd you do it? I've been so busy these past several years with travel pics, I forgot how much fun it is to experiment with slo-mo zooms 'n such.
    TravelnLass.com
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Definitely still learning the ropes around here (i.e. how to add a pic, etc.), but thought I'd toss my hat into this mini-challenge ring. Goodness, but it made me dig deeep into my f.i.l.m. archives:

1) Experiment in Dangling String and Filters
    As judge I'm resisting commenting on any of everyones wonderful shots until the end, but it would be nice if you could give a little more detail on the string shot - it feels quite a "technical" shot. You said it was shot on film? I'm guessing you are shooting upwards into a light of some sort dangling and swinnging on a string? Was it multiple exposures? Presumably filters to add different colours? I would love to know a little more and I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about it!

Thanks if you can,
    Alan.
    edited October 7, 2012
    autobahn at night
    I like this one very much. A bit noisy but a good effort :)
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
    edited October 7, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    ...it would be nice if you could give a little more detail on the string shot - it feels quite a "technical" shot. You said it was shot on film? I'm guessing you are shooting upwards into a light of some sort dangling and swinnging on a string? Was it multiple exposures? Presumably filters to add different colours? I would love to know a little more and I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about it!

Thanks if you can,
    Alan.

Yup Alan, you're onto my tricks ;) The truth is, I created that image quite a good while ago and I only hazily remember just how I did it.

As I recall, yes, I had my film camera (a beloved Pentax LX, I believe) on the floor facing straight up in a completely darkened room. Hung a penlight from the ceiling above it, and then swung it to 'n fro while adding filters to the lens for the color. The shutter was set on "bulb" of course w/ a locking cable release. No, no multiple exposures - though that would have no doubt added a whole new level of interesting possibilities to the experiment. Indeed, as it was, I spent hours 'n hours fiddling with the height of the light, the swing of it, et al. It was great fun experimenting.

Oh, and remember - I didn't have the pleasure of "instant" feedback that we now have with digital. I had to wait to get the slides developed to see if/how each shot turned out!

P.S. As long as I have your undivided attention, Alan... :D Could you please explain just how we reduce a full-size entry to a thumbnail/200x200 in a reply? I tried everything when I commented on WhatSheSaw's lovely "Black-eyed Susans". It seems that in a reply, you can click on the image and drag the corner to make it as small as you like, but... when I previewed it, the image bounced back to full size. :cry I also tried changing the url of the photo to end w/ 200x200 instead of "-L" or whatever, but that didn't work either. It just would be nice to see a wee visual of the image we're talking about in our replies.
    TravelnLass.com
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    1) Renee Marie
    392553195_HFT6e-L-1.jpg

2) Saturn model
    860041523_KpCc8-L.jpg

3) Water from a faucet
    IMGP4416-L.jpg
    Literally 'illustrated'! thumb.gif

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 7, 2012
    Yup Alan, you're onto my tricks ;) The truth is, I created that image quite a good while ago and I only hazily remember just how I did it.

TravelnLass

Good description and sounds like great fun. Thanks.
    Could you please explain just how we reduce a full-size entry to a thumbnail/200x200 in a reply?
    I'm no expert, but I've found when the image is a reference to a URL to a photo on a SmugMug account (which is the case for WhatSheSaw) it is usually straight forward to copy the URL and change the size request in the URL string. Often just swapping "L"s for "S"s, or "L" for "Th". I think you were on the right track.

On the Black Eye Susans this seems to work for small ...
    http://www.seewhatshesaw.com/Competitions/DSS-85-Orton-Effect/i-H3vmQsk/0/S/P1450415Adjust-S.jpg

and for a thumb ...

http://www.seewhatshesaw.com/Competitions/DSS-85-Orton-Effect/i-H3vmQsk/0/Th/P1450415Adjust-Th.jpg

In other scenarios I've just found it easier to do a screen capture, reduction in photoshop and attach to your message - a bit naughty perhaps, but it gets you there.

Hope this helps.

Alan
    edited October 7, 2012
    TravelnLass

I'm no expert, but I've found when the image is a reference to a URL to a photo on a SmugMug account (which is the case for WhatSheSaw) it is usually straight forward to copy the URL and change the size request in the URL string. Often just swapping "L"s for "S"s, or "L" for "Th". I think you were on the right track.

On the Black Eye Susans this seems to work for small ...
    http://www.seewhatshesaw.com/Competitions/DSS-85-Orton-Effect/i-H3vmQsk/0/S/P1450415Adjust-S.jpg

and for a thumb ...

http://www.seewhatshesaw.com/Competitions/DSS-85-Orton-Effect/i-H3vmQsk/0/Th/P1450415Adjust-Th.jpg

In other scenarios I've just found it easier to do a screen capture, reduction in photoshop and attach to your message - a bit naughty perhaps, but it gets you there.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Though I still couldn't get the revised url (i.e. -Th or -S) to work WITHIN the reply (i.e. like you, it just shows up as a link, not a small pic itself), but...

You're right, simply doing a print-screen, reducing it, then saving it and attaching it works fine. Doesn't take more than a minute:
    TravelnLass.com
    edited October 7, 2012
    jwear wrote: »
    hummmmm

Love it! Such an ethereal quality - the soft colors and the softness of the blurred wings.
    TravelnLass.com
    edited October 7, 2012
    ALXCAR wrote: »
    SNAIL SLOW MOTION by Billy.jpg
    This pic was done on a 3 seconds long exposure shot with two sources of light. One, continuous light from the back, and the other one, 1/50 of a second flash for the front.
    At the same time panning with the camera to the Left to create the illusion of movement.

"A long exposure with two light sources (flash and continuous) and panning techniques."
    or some thing like that. ;)

Tricky. But oh so nicely done! I especially like the reflection in the black glossy base.

TravelnLass.com
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    ALXCAR wrote: »
    autobahn at night
    I like this one very much. A bit noisy but a good effort :)

thanks - you acvtually reminded me that i have been meaning to replace that one with a better edit. should look better now - still a bit noisy, but i think this is about the best i can do with it :)
    edited October 7, 2012
    Thanks Alan. Though I still couldn't get the revised url (i.e. -Th or -S) to work WITHIN the reply (i.e. like you, it just shows up as a link, not a small pic itself), but...

You're right, simply doing a print-screen, reducing it, then saving it and attaching it works fine. Doesn't take more than a minute:

Strange, seems to work for me ...

P1450415Adjust-Th.jpg

Are you sure you are not just simply pasting the text of URL into the message instead of inserting it by pressing the Little "Yellow Mountain" picture icon on the tool strip? Just asking.

Alan

PS - Appologies to WSS if you didn't quite expect this level of exposure!
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Alan

PS - Appologies to WSS if you didn't quite expect this level of exposure!
    There is another poster here that now feels burried! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Peacock Departure
    20120114Leo-Carillo-Park018-36-L.jpg

Absolut Motion
    110910Photoshop-World-Picks006-L.jpg

Music and Motion
    FirstNight2003-2-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    I really like the snail. These aren't as good, but they are maybe a little different

4992.jpg

Dancing on a bottle in Santo Domingo - 2006

x77911_10.JPG

Drop Trakehner jump (Trakehner is the name for a hanging log jump as well as a kind of horse) . I absolutely can't find the photo I took where I swung the camera to keep track of the horse which would be much better than this one which was taken with a point and shoot camera - film and digitized. I think this was taken a Ship's Quarters which was an Advanced level combined training course and a selection trial for the Olympics back in the early 80s.

IMG_2688.JPG

Most of my movement shots where the movement has not been stopped by the shutter speed are taken in aquariums. This was in Sydney this past summer.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited October 7, 2012
    Strange, seems to work for me ...

Are you sure you are not just simply pasting the text of URL into the message instead of inserting it by pressing the Little "Yellow Mountain" picture icon on the tool strip? Just asking.

O.k. let's try this again using one of YOUR pics Alan

Pasting url via bitty yellow mountain pop-up box (and then tweaking it to read "...-S.jpg" instead of "...-L.jpg"):

Nope - after I click "OK" in the wee insert image box - the pic reverts to it's original size.

IMG0258-S.jpg

Dunno what you're doing that I'm not, but I can't seem to get it to work for me.

Even more curious - if I click on the big pic in the reply, it gets wee handles and I can drag to resize it as small as I like. BUT - when I preview or post it - it goes right back to the big original size. Grrrrrr!
    TravelnLass.com
    edited October 7, 2012
    O.k. let's try this again using one of YOUR pics Alan

Pasting url via bitty yellow mountain pop-up box (and then tweaking it to read "...-S.jpg" instead of "...-L.jpg"):

Dunno what you're doing that I'm not, but I can't seem to get it to work for me.

Even more curious - if I click on the big pic in the reply, it gets wee handles and I can drag to resize it as small as I like. BUT - when I preview or post it - it goes right back to the big original size. Grrrrrr!

Are you sure you are changing both occurances of "L"? There are two...

....alanandkate.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Power-and-Motion/i-hsMzgrw/4/S/IMG0258-S.jpg
    If not then try editing your previous post, delete the picture and re-insert it with the change. If you are then I am at a loss too!!

Alan.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    I agree that most of the shots I get with much motion in them I deem to be throw-aways (I throw away a ton of shots), but here is one panning attempt, one lucky catch from the wings as the curtain closed and another dance shot that I just found out is being used for the Kansas Dance Festival poster!

1. Look Ma - No Legs!
    IMG2004-M.jpg
    2. Plum Spinning Tutu
    IMG4618-M.jpg
    3. Moments
    IMG0431-M.jpg
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    1) Big bird bath.
    CROPPED-DSC00103-L.jpg

2) "I love you, man!"
    Boys-06-15-12-Img0647-L.jpg

3) In the middle of the grand finale.
    DSC0303-CROPPED-L.jpg

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Dance & Mahler & Rock and Roll
    (1) Dance:
    767983981_hAee7-XL-3.jpg
    (2)Mahler Symphony #1:
    535933449_tyAPb-XL-5.jpg
    (3) Joey Sullivan:
    846406378_88kuf-XL.jpg
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited October 7, 2012
    Are you sure you are changing both occurances of "L"? There are two...

....alanandkate.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Power-and-Motion/i-hsMzgrw/4/S/IMG0258-S.jpg
    If not then try editing your previous post, delete the picture and re-insert it with the change. If you are then I am at a loss too!!

Alan.

Arghhhh! Well Du-UHH!

IMG0258-Th.jpg

IMG0258-S.jpg

Thanks so much Alan, for your patient hand-holding. Now we can all get back to gawking at these many great motion images. Sorry to ALL for the disruption.
    TravelnLass.com