Options

Best approach to using Lightroom on two machines?

kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited October 8, 2012 in Finishing School
Hey everyone,
My primary machine is an iMac. I want to start bringing my MacBook Air on the road with me so that, on longer trips, i can import and start processing them. I also have a few galleries on my iMac that still need to be processed. I'd like to put those on the MBA so I can process on the road

What's the best way to do this? It is to just import/export Catalogs? Since they're on the the same network, it should be relatively fact to zap a few gigs of raw files.

Is this the best approach?
1. New photos on location - MBA process, export a catalog locally on MBA, then import over Wifi to iMac
2. Photos on imac to process - Export catalog to MBA desktop, then import to MBA LR

Thoughts and tips appreciated.

Thanks,
KB

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    Dedicate a drive to all LR files and images, then just move it from machine to machine. OR have two drives (one per machine) then just use something like SuperDuper to clone them. Main machine has latest work. Clone that to location drive. Take location drive and add images and work on LR catalog. Come back from location, use SuperDuper to clone desktop machine. Make sure you save presets with catalog (preferences). Things that don't get stored there, stored on the boot disk are a bit more dicey like DNG profiles (they can be embedded into DNG's), lens profiles etc.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/