Options

What do I charge for a one time commercial print?

nixternixter Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited October 8, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I was contacted by a design firm that wants to buy prints that are 16x24 or 20x30 of a few of my photos.

They found my shots on flickr probably through search. Funny thing is one was taken on my iphone 4s and another I took on my old Canon G3, so I am not even sure if they can be printed as big as they want. Despite the fact that the photos were taken on various platforms it is my eye and processing that I think has sold them on the photos so don't want to undercut my self or devalue my work by charging too little.

This company seems to be a little small but big enough to provide interior design for several hospitals and doctor offices, miller brewing and ymca.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of request and what is a best practices for selling a digital file and sending it directly to a printer?

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    nixter wrote: »
    I was contacted by a design firm that wants to buy prints that are 16x24 or 20x30 of a few of my photos.

They found my shots on flickr probably through search. Funny thing is one was taken on my iphone 4s and another I took on my old Canon G3, so I am not even sure if they can be printed as big as they want. Despite the fact that the photos were taken on various platforms it is my eye and processing that I think has sold them on the photos so don't want to undercut my self or devalue my work by charging too little.

This company seems to be a little small but big enough to provide interior design for several hospitals and doctor offices, miller brewing and ymca.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of request and what is a best practices for selling a digital file and sending it directly to a printer?

Do they want to purchase a print or a file?

I seriously doubt images from an i phone or a Canon G3 will produce a high quality print at 16X24 or 20X30.

There is a world of difference between what looks great on a computer screen and what you can print.

In general one can not simply take a file that looks good on the computer and send it to any printer and expect a great looking close to what you see on your monitor 20X30 print.

If you provide a link to the originals many here can have a look and give you their opinions.

As far as price is concerned.................first can it be done?

Sam
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    here is something to try....

download trial version OnOne software's Perfect Resize then:

open image in photoshop, go to image, image size...change dpi to 300 (the only box that should be ticked is constrain proportions)....take it into Perfect Resize and change dimension to largest that you need.....see how it looks ... ... then you can decide if the images are usable or not.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    nixternixter Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    I am gonna try to the OnOne software on the one from the G3. Which is this one. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stankus/150217846/in/set-72157603290233588 I have a newer version of it that I took on another camera, but I can't seem to find it online.

Here is the one from the Iphone.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stankus/6981793335/in/set-72157631722275760

I think they want the digital file not a print, but it seems they want me to mail it to their "printer". I am not sure if that is a person or a device.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    they are very cool images.....both worth the time to see if they will uprez nicely... I was told by someone that PSCS6 does as good a job as Perfect Resize but I have no idea....i still cannot get my PSCS 4 do as well for me...so i just stick with what worx the best for me...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website