Options

YN560-II on a Nikon D7000

PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited October 12, 2012 in Accessories
Okay, so I am getting ready to jump into flash photography. I would like to do this a little cheaper than the SB-700 speedlights. I was looking at the Yongnuo YN560-II as a good alternative. As I understand, these work great for slave strobes and off camera flashes with a wireless trigger. However, I have the privilege to borrow one of these and can't get the D7000 to recognize it while attached to the camera on the hot shoe. Everything I can find online says it is compatible with all standard hot shoes (including Nikon) but I get nothing. I understand it is a manual flash, but shouldn't it trigger via the camera when attached to the hot shoe?

Thanks for the help!
- Philip
-~= Philip =~-
Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited October 11, 2012
    Some flashes require a specific polarity in order to work properly. For those manual flashes with reversed polarity, with regard to the host camera, I have greater success with a Wein Safe-Sync in-between the flash and the camera.

Alternately, just try a different flash. If manual flash is all you need, try an old Nikon SB-28. The SB-28 also includes an "A", 'auto' mode which works independently of the body to control flash output.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    Okay, so I am getting ready to jump into flash photography. I would like to do this a little cheaper than the SB-700 speedlights. I was looking at the Yongnuo YN560-II as a good alternative. As I understand, these work great for slave strobes and off camera flashes with a wireless trigger. However, I have the privilege to borrow one of these and can't get the D7000 to recognize it while attached to the camera on the hot shoe. Everything I can find online says it is compatible with all standard hot shoes (including Nikon) but I get nothing. I understand it is a manual flash, but shouldn't it trigger via the camera when attached to the hot shoe?

Thanks for the help!
    - Philip
    Yes. What is your menu for flash set to? My Yonguo works on my Canon and my Nikon. My Nikon SB also works on my Canon. Also as a side tidbit, your Yonguo will slave from the Nikon's flash on-cam, sans wireless trigger. Flashing or slaving just from the Camera's flash. It has a setting to allow this, I think it's S2 ( on the flash) if memory serves.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Some flashes require a specific polarity in order to work properly. For those manual flashes with reversed polarity, with regard to the host camera, I have greater success with a Wein Safe-Sync in-between the flash and the camera.
    Alternately, just try a different flash. If manual flash is all you need, try an old Nikon SB-28. The SB-28 also includes an "A", 'auto' mode which works independently of the body to control flash output.

Thanks ziggy, I will look into those safe-sync option. I thought the YN560-II was suppose to be compatible though. As for the SB-28. They look nice, but a little hard to come bit. I would love a SB-700, but don't know that I want to (or can afford) to start there.
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Yes. What is your menu for flash set to? My Yonguo works on my Canon and my Nikon. My Nikon SB also works on my Canon. Also as a side tidbit, your Yonguo will slave from the Nikon's flash on-cam, sans wireless trigger. Flashing or slaving just from the Camera's flash. It has a setting to allow this, I think it's S2 ( on the flash) if memory serves.

I have successfully use the flash as a slave in both S1 and S2 mode. What I can't do is put it in the hot shoe and use it as a flash. The camera has no idea it is there. As for the settings? I am not sure what to change. I can set the onboard flash as TTL / Manual/ or Commander, but that don't affect the hot shoe. I don't see any other settings that would. Am I missing something. Again, my camera is a D7000.

Thanks for the replies!!
    -~= Philip =~-
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    User error
    As with most things this appears to be user error. I have to have my D7000 in manual (M) mode for it to work. It doesn't in Aperture (A) mode. I tried it once in manual mode, but apparently the flash was in slave mode at that point. Doh! So manual mode on both works perfect.

Thanks for the help!!
    -~= Philip =~-