Options

Neoprene and Camera Gear

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited October 13, 2012 in Accessories
I've been looking at some neoprene pouches for my lenses. I've seen this type of material used for lens coats and also for camera pouches. But my question is ... is this a good thing? If one is out in the elements .. fog, rain, snow or any type of moisture in the air and then puts their lens/camera into one of these neoprene products .... it will hold the moisture in. Also if one is out in the elements .. hot and humid weather being one of them and they have their product in such an product .. can't the moisture build up in it. I'm sure they're not 100% seal proof. Reason I ask this is I've had to wear a neoprene product for my knees and it retains heat and is definitely not a dry environment.

Just wondering if anyone has/is using a neoprene camera pouch/lens pouch and if there has been any issues with them. I like the concept of using it. It would definitely protect one's gear. But I also have concerns of fungus growth and what ever else from using it too.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited October 13, 2012
    Years ago, someone gave me a neoprene pouch that someone else had given them. I've never seen the need to use it. I suggest that it might find use in an otherwise unpartitioned camera bag, but I don't use that sort of bag.

I do suspect that storing wet equipment in any sort of bag or case is a very bad idea. I don't think that neoprene is very different in that regard. Just be sure to thoroughly dry everything before storage and you should be OK unless the environment itself is highly humid. In that case a dry locker with a desiccant is probably indicated.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Years ago, someone gave me a neoprene pouch that someone else had given them. I've never seen the need to use it. I suggest that it might find use in an otherwise unpartitioned camera bag, but I don't use that sort of bag.

I do suspect that storing wet equipment in any sort of bag or case is a very bad idea. I don't think that neoprene is very different in that regard. Just be sure to thoroughly dry everything before storage and you should be OK unless the environment itself is highly humid. In that case a dry locker with a desiccant is probably indicated.

Howdy Ziggy ...

I thought what you said would be the case. I think there are just to many factors that could effect what could happen in a neoprene case. I'll by pass those and look for something different.