Options

Swivel Clamp question

exploregonexploregon Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 14, 2012 in Accessories
Looking for some advice please;
I record live audio via microphones for a hobby. A couple weekends ago I did a couple shows (Seattle and Portland) where I was able to get my video camera going during one of the shows. The camera had it's own Manfrotto tripod (3373) and my microphones had their dedicated tripod as well. Due to the slope of the amphitheater it was very difficult to get my camera angle just right to prevent an uneven image. In fact, most of the show it's slightly off. What I'm looking for now is a clamp that would hold the camera that swivels and pivots so I can compensate for all the different situations I might be in. Ideally I would like to only cart in one tripod to limit the clutter so the clamp would be mounted to my mic stand.
Any ideas of what I might use for such a purpose? Most likely I wouldn't be using a pan handle but if there's one with a removable handle that would be great.

Thanks for any help and/or advice.
Chris

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    Not sure if I am missing something here, but wouldn't a ball head be the simple solution?
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    Something like this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553825-REG/Manfrotto_244_244_Variable_Friction_Magic.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Manfrotto&sts=ta&N=4289361368&Ntt=super+clamp

exploregon wrote: »
    Looking for some advice please;
    I record live audio via microphones for a hobby. A couple weekends ago I did a couple shows (Seattle and Portland) where I was able to get my video camera going during one of the shows. The camera had it's own Manfrotto tripod (3373) and my microphones had their dedicated tripod as well. Due to the slope of the amphitheater it was very difficult to get my camera angle just right to prevent an uneven image. In fact, most of the show it's slightly off. What I'm looking for now is a clamp that would hold the camera that swivels and pivots so I can compensate for all the different situations I might be in. Ideally I would like to only cart in one tripod to limit the clutter so the clamp would be mounted to my mic stand.
    Any ideas of what I might use for such a purpose? Most likely I wouldn't be using a pan handle but if there's one with a removable handle that would be great.

Thanks for any help and/or advice.
    Chris
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 13, 2012
    Why is the microphone on a separate stand?

If you're looking for a way to combine the camera and microphone just use a straight bracket with 2 - connection points. The bracket provides enough separation to eliminate most camera noise, but allows mounting the camera and microphone to the same tripod head.

There are also curved brackets which allow positioning the microphone higher if that's required.

Normally, adjusting the leg lengths should be able to get you close enough to level on most surfaces. For leveling the tripod quickly on a slanted floor/surface, look at a "leveling base", which fits between the tripod and the head.

I prefer a Manfrotto 755XB MDeVe aluminum tripod, which includes a 50mm half-ball for leveling, and then I attach either a pan head, for locked-down video, or a fluid head, for following the subjects.

My head choices are:

Manfrotto 3047 pan head (version 3)
    Manfrotto 3063 fluid head

Unfortunately, these heads are out of production and only available used.

Note that the 755XB MDeVe tripod uses a 3/8" screw, so you may need an adapter plate for heads using 1/4" attachment (like those above). I use the Manfrotto 120 Adapter Plate (#3054).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2012
    The Manfrotto 3373 is actually a light stand, not a tripod.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5602-REG/Manfrotto_3373_3373_Retractable_Black_Light.html
    Why not buy a real tripod?
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2012
    Okay, sorry for the delay in response
    Yes, I meant light stands, not tripod. Bad terminology on my part.

For the most part I need to elevate the microphones to get away from crowd noise. Typically they're about 9' while the camera I have needs to be mounted to that light stand at about ~6' for adjustment reasons.
    The reason I had to bring 2 stands is because I have yet to find a clamping device therefore the other stand was my only option. I do have a superclamp but from that point I need something similar to a ball head that will allow me to adjust in all directions.
    Anyway, If I had something that could come off the superclamp, that would be excellent. Dan7312 may have found the solution. Dan will that mount secure to the clamp? It's hard to tell if I'd be able to do that on the right side of the tool:

553825.jpg

Thank you for all our responses!
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2012
    Here's a picture of what my mic/light stand situation is:

2011-09-23-182247-L.jpg

It's the second in from the left with 2 sets of mics mounted to it, one clamped.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2012
    Yes, it's made for the super clamp.

p1192715346.png

[QUOTE=exploregon;1825324Dan7312 may have found the solution. Dan will that mount secure to the clamp? It's hard to tell if I'd be able to do that on the right side of the tool:

Thank you for all our responses![/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2012
    Sweet. Thanks Dan! On my way to b&h now!