Mini-challenge #152: Illustrated Motion - RESULTS

Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited October 18, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone that has taken part - I have enjoyed ALL the photos not just the ones I'm highlighting here.

Those of you in here who have judged these mini challenges before know it is not easy, and is always going to be subjective to an extent. I could ask 10 people to look at these photos and I would get at least 11 different opinions! My opinion is no better than yours - but someone has to judge these!

Yesterday and last night I down selected the photos to a pool of 12 - these are the 9 that did not get a 1,2 or 3 spot. If I were to totally ignore the theme, the image I most admire is in this pool of 9 even though it did not get a place.

Capture.jpg

My 3,2,1 selection is as follows -

3rd Place - richtersl - Bass Hands.
This shows good movement which really adds to the photo, it's close up and intimate and I'm a sucker for stylish, quality music photos. Lovely Shot.

537255772_J3LXh-L-1.jpg

2nd Place - DstrVW - Untitled
This for me is an excellent image in which I feel the motion and vibrance captures and expresses the chaos and energy of such races. It has a painting like quality to it which I like. Bizarrely there appears to be a lady in a pink dress in the background in the middle of the track, but I don't find it a distraction even though I know it (she?) is there. I'm not sure how much post has been done to this shot - but once again, for me an excellent image.

533237447_dQtKL-XL.jpg

1st Place - ALXCAR - Snail slow motion
This little shot is very clever, very effective and fits the theme very well. I had some slight concerns at first about the table edge in the lower left, but on consideration I think it is needed to anchor or take away the floating in space feel if it was not there. The subject of a snail in motion is a very surprising but pleasing one, and the use of panning to create motion on the subject is very innovative and works. If I were to try and create this I would be reaching for photoshop.

For me an unusual but very pleasing image for this theme which has been crafted simply using good camera technique.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36852&d=1349542210

Well done ALXCAR - I am concious that you are new here - it is upto you to set and launch the new theme. If you need any advice on the admin side then drop me a line. I will PM you anyway to say you have won.

Alan.

Comments

• kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    snail was my fav also - great choice!
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Me too - I loved the snail photo and am happy that it won.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Nice job, Alan. Agree with your choice; that little snail holds a big amount of compellingness!

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    I loved the snail! Great work, ALXCAR!

Thanks for the Third Place nod. :D
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Nice work!
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    Thanks, Alan! I'm pleased to have made the "gang of nine"...and I'm most impressed with the three you chose at the top! Congratulations Linda, DstrVW and ALXCAR!!
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Lots of great photos in this round and the snail is worthy of first place. Congrats, ALXCAR!

Thanks for the HM, Alan!
  • ALXCARALXCAR Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    WOW!!! Thank you Alan!
    And thank you guys for the kind words. As my photography is very different to what is out there and is not very commercial, sometimes I feel a bit weirdo... I am glad that at least some people can see behind my pics.
    Again thank you to all of you

I would have the next challenge very soon

PS.- very good pictures and very well done to all!
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    A most excellent round of images - and fine choices Alan (it surely must have been tough!) Congrats to the top 3: ALXCAR, DstrVW and richtersl! Meanwhile, I remain dumbfounded that one of mine actually made into the top 12!

btw, just curious Alan (or whoever) - given that we can each submit 3 images - is it possible (though no doubt not likely) for someone to take two, or even ALL THREE top places?
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    A most excellent round of images - and fine choices Alan (it surely must have been tough!) Congrats to the top 3: ALXCAR, DstrVW and richtersl! Meanwhile, I remain dumbfounded that one of mine actually made into the top 12!

btw, just curious Alan (or whoever) - given that we can each submit 3 images - is it possible (though no doubt not likely) for someone to take two, or even ALL THREE top places?

Hi TravlnLass (my old pal ;) )

I don't think you should be surprised to have been in the "choice pool", for me its an excellent, striking and creative image. Although it is definitely the final impression that counts, I do try to look behind photos and ask myself the question "What has the photographer added?" - i.e. above and beyond a "snap", which are also fine and mostly what I take! "Added" for me can a variety of things - tricky or patient wildlife shot, a well seen "moment", difficult place to get to, deliberate good camera technique, well planned angles and composition and many more etc. For an example of the latter, look at the welder shot - that angle is no accident. Without analysing the soul out of a photo, I do like to try and understand why I personally like and/or respect a photo - perhaps one day it will make me a better photographer!

So in that light (for me)... would I hang your picture on the wall - quite possibly! What did you "add" - heaps!

As far as winning all three, I believe it is possible, I've not seen any rules which say no, and I believe it is the images that should speak independently of who. Much to my embarrassment, I took two places in the last round.

Alan.
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    Hi TravlnLass (my old pal ;) )

I don't think you should be surprised to have been in the "choice pool"...

Thanks for the encouragement Alan. And yes, the act of simply trying to understand WHY you like an image (both others and your own) can surely go a long way to improving your photography.
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    As far as winning all three, I believe it is possible, I've not seen any rules which say no, and I believe it is the images that should speak independently of who. Much to my embarrassment I took two places in the last round.Alan.

Ah, so it's already happened - 2 out of 3 ain't bad, sir! ;)
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com