Options

Recommendations for portrait lens

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited October 18, 2012 in Accessories
Hi all,

In the market for a good portrait lens but not sure where to start. Does anyone have recommendations? I am using a canon 60D.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    I would look into the Sigma 24-70 f2.8... I have used several version of this lens and was never let down...it was added to complement my Sigma 70-210 f2.8 and replace a 28-70...

Personally I like the 70-200f2.8 for portraits...I don't have to get right in peoples faces when doing head shots and such.....either would be great.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 16, 2012
    Portraits are really multiple different applications and I like to describe them in groups:

• Head shots and head-and-shoulders.
    • 3/4 length and full length.
    • Environmental, group and natural settings.

For the first group, which is pretty tight to the head, on a crop/DX camera I prefer to use a longer focal length, generally 85mm or more.

For the second group I generally use 50mm or so. A 35mm lens on a crop camera can do in a smaller room.

For group portraits and when you want to record a larger scene, I recommend a standard zoom of 17-55mm(ish). The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is about as good as it gets for this use. For really large groups or large groups in a smaller room consider a super-wide-angle zoom, like the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX for Canon mount.

Large aperture primes allow more control over DOF, which is important for flexibility and controlling background blur (bokeh).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2012
    Thx guys,

So far I have a 10-20mm super wide angle and a 25-70 tamron, which is my mainstay. I also have a 70 to 200 L series I inherited a while back though I don't use it much.

I'm considering the canon 55mm f1.4. It comes in at around 360 and has some pretty positive reviews. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2012
    Sorry I meant 50 mm
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2012
    davidryan wrote: »
    Thx guys,

So far I have a 10-20mm super wide angle and a 25-70 tamron, which is my mainstay. I also have a 70 to 200 L series I inherited a while back though I don't use it much.

I'm considering the canon 55mm f1.4. It comes in at around 360 and has some pretty positive reviews. What do you think?

The 50mm is a great portrait lens, but unless you're shooting in a small space, you'll do better to use the longer end of your 28-70 or just jump to your 70-200 (which one is it?).

Alternatively, if you want something to really isolate your subject from the background, invest in something like the 85mm 1.8 or 100 f2. The 135L is also superb, but you need the space for it and, as an L lens, it's quite a bit more expensive (although pretty affordable as L lenses go, especially when it's a little slice of magic like that one).
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2012
    Good input. One of the reasons I was considering the 50mm was also for the f1.4. That gobbles up the light. I think that's how I'd use it, especially in cases where I need to be close in. Hmm. Something to consider. Thx.
  • Options
    supermarvin76supermarvin76 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Depending on how much you're looking to spend, take a look at the 85mm f.1.8, which should be around the same price as the 50mm, or, look at the 135 f/2L.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" -Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    If you are not in need of shallow DOF or low-light, and can deal with f/4 the Canon 24-105 f/4L is razor sharp and a a great lens that goes from wide to short tele. With your crop factor on the D60 it won't be really wide, but still a pretty nice range.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2012
    Yeah the 60d crop does present a challenge.